“Stop Moaning!”
Review of Dorisol Mimosa

Dorisol Mimosa
Ranked #80 of 88 Hotels in Funchal
Reviewed February 15, 2013

First of all i don't understand where all this negative feedback is coming from? i have never visited this hotel before it was my first time, the rep on the coach (carl) was extremely curtious to all and very helpful, we arrived around 25 minutes after boarding (dropped some other people of at their hotels), Yes there is a hill going up to the mimosa but jeese it takes 2 minutes to walk up it yes its a little steep but not a problem, if anything its good for you!, the Hotel itself is extremely clean and tidy, lovely foyer with waterfall, some interesting pieces of furniture (antiques), very comfortable areas, we were situated on the 4th floor and had a stunning view from our terrace of the ocean! also pool area, terrace bar were visable!, the room was spotless and beds were made and the room cleaned every day!,, Food was a toughy for me as im allergic to a lot of things, this was absolutely no problem as they catered for my needs with no hesitation! there was always a good selection at breakfast, and im a fussy git!, we were all inclusive, for dinner was either the set menu (which was different everyday and FINE), or you could eat at the terrace bar next to the pool, where they served good old grub like cheese and ham toasties, chips, steak, burgers, this was good for my young lad who enjoyed his sausages served with a smile from the wonderful arlinda who was fabulous with our boy,, drinks were plentiful much to the delight of my partner, not the best rola cola but u could ask for pepsi at a small price evening meals were served down at the sister hotel,(all linked by paths), the mermaid bar had a great selection of starters! loads in fact!, the main meal was either fish or meat each evening and the food was good stuff! i am a serious eater of english food and amazed myself by trying something different each evening after our joker waiter offered me lemon with my meals for a jest (im allergic to it lol), the puddings were plenty there must have been at least 8 selections to choose from all really good quality!,,, Now the entertainment::: there was only 1 evening that was dire this was bean bingo haha!(which my partner an myself ended up laughing so much that my ribs hurt) and a quiz!,,, the rest of the week was flamin good stuff! there was a 60s-80s evening and the dancers were out of this world real professional, truly awesome entertainment i did not expect that, the compare guys were funny dressing up in drag hilarious moment :), not the paladium but good fun all round!, ,,,, all amenities were 5 mins away and yes it was hills but at the end of the day madeira is a hilly place!... Funchal was a 5 minute drive in a taxi (around 7 euros) or u could take the free bus that picked you up from the hotel,, a busy but exhilirating place old town was beautiful!, lots of ticket touts for boat trips etc, but thats to be expected in a tourist location!,,, we took a trip on the santa maria ship and it was 3 hours of total bliss!... Also the botanical gardens were stunning definately worth a visit!... we were there when carnival was on and i have to say it was a once in a lifetime experiance awesome!..... back to the hotel and the staff were always there if you needed anything! and they were all really great people, very quick to help in anyway!, infact a lot of them were of top level service and took pride in their chosen job!,,,, So all in all it was a lovely holiday (really warm for feb ) not really a hotel for children i saw only a couple through the week so my lad decided the play area was his own lol, no its not 5 star but we get what we pay for!, great service, clean hotel, lovely people, proud place, do not go here if you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth as it won't reach your expectation! and your nose will turn up lol, if your down to earth like me you will enjoy yourself! only one thing i had a problem with, making a brew the kettle lid fell off while i was pouring and i burnt my hand big time, so maybe a little note to say that they can fall off would help future holidayers, on that note reception were rapido in helping me as always! also we had forgotten my sons buggy and asked if possible could they let us know where to hire one, within 15 minutes one of the reps had 1 delivered our room what belonged to her own child, now thats excellent service i have to say!..... i would recommend this hotel to all if you want a comfortable pleasent holiday enjoy!... those of you who want the ritz walk on and payfor it!......

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank Gemma H

Reviewed February 12, 2013

A good bug jet hotel but not as good as it used to be. Lack of maintenance is becoming apparent.The bar and entertainment are now in the sister hotel at the foot of the hill 150 approx steps as is the evening meal. Not very good for single travellers. The social evenings were one of my reasons for going here. The staff are great, the Terrace bar ,the pools and breakfasts are good. Don't let this put you off this hotel but be warned.

Room Tip: For a view ask for room facing Funchal for sunny balcony ask for room facing pool
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Jeanwhyte
Reviewed February 5, 2013

The hotel was clean, breakfast could be better but ok, many good restaurants in the neighborhood. The hotel had a free bus to Funchal almost every hour and back.
They had a pool but it was to cold to take a swim in january only 14 C

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 5, 2013

place was clean and tidy.food was a joke offering onions and boiled egg for breakfast.do not expect english breakfast they dont do it and hardly cater for english people.piano bar never opened 133 steps to go to bar in the evening and back.wish we hadn't av been all inclusive as there were plenty other places to go to eat/drink.all inclusive didnt mean all inclusive only because we complained to rep we got more choice.entertainment was a joke and evening was expected to wind up by bout 10pm.not suitable for under60's really.best thing was indoorpool gym and jacuzzi.needs an updated facelift.staff friendly except one.dogs barking opposite every morning so forget the lie in.no daytime activities like it is advertised and the nighttime ones are mis sold

Room Tip: just dont bother to stay here is best advice unless u like to go to bed at 10 and get up at 5 and we...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Have been returning here for 15 years and always do B&B. I think it is excellent value for money; there is plenty of choice and quantity for breakfast. It is not posh or luxury but it is just what I need to switch off. The rooms and the hotel are always clean and tidy with plenty of comfortable seating inside just in case you do get a rainy day.
I can make a cuppa when I need and relax. There is a good size fridge for holding packed lunch stuff and it is wonderful to sit in the sun on the balcony (west facing) in the late afternoon in January when you know it is dark at home.
Many of the rooms have been refurbished there are still a few of the upper floors to go and that is planned during 2013.
The staff are always friendly and very helpful, that is another reason I return year on year - many of them have become very good friends as have some of the guests who also return at the same time every year.
I always eat out in the evening, as there are plenty of places to choose from (see review for Moby Dick Restaurant close by).
There is a courtesy bus into the town but it is a lovely 45 min walk, downhill (not to fast a pace) into Funchal or the harbour taking in the St. Catarina gardens on the way - sit, rest and watch the ships/boats in the harbour.
The indoor pool is a great asset particularly in the winter months, I cannot do the outside pool temperature but others do! If I time it right I get the indoor pool for my individual use, plus the jacuzzi. Just brilliant.
Two years ago I had a birthday celebration, bringing my whole family, young and old to stay at the Mimosa. Everyone had a wonderful time, we had a table set for us all for breakfast and one evening when the indoor pool had closed it was set up for my pool party - a great time was had by all! There was even a waiter laid on to serve the Bucks Fizz.
For me it is excellent.
Just love it there and looking forward to 2014.

Room Tip: Higher floors, 7 and above, overlooking the outside pool get the late afternoon sun.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Sue B
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Had a really good stay at the Dorisol Mimosa (three hotels in one really, but the one on the top is called Mimosa), about 15 mins walk from the city centre of Funchal. About 5 mins walk to the wonderful beach promenade, and 1 min walk to closest restaurant (many good ones really close by). Good sized swimming pool outside with a little restaurant / bar as well as inside pool, spa and gym if you fancy working out. Great thing about Mimosa is that it's close to everything, but as it's located on a top of a hill, it's still quiet and you can sit on the veranda and hear birds instead of cars. Also the staff (all of the ones I met during the stay) are really friendly (as are most people in Funchal), helpful, speak well English (and other languages) - and the rooms are always clean. Recommend, especially if on a budget! Only minus is a basic breakfast, but others seamed to eat there. I just ended up byuing my own brekky to enjoy at the veranda as opposed to in a crowded restaurant.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
6  Thank Anne B
Reviewed January 7, 2013

This was the first stay on the island for my wife and I. We read the rewiews of others very carefully and went with an open mind as views were so diverse. We were very happy with the location, the staff were brillient with nothing too much trouble and all was very clean and tidy. The room exeeded our expectations, we were on the 7th floor with views over Funchal. No air conditioning (there is only 4 rooms with air con in this hotel) but it is not needed at this time of year anyway. The resturant menu (we went BB) for breakfast was very good but the main meals menu/price did not compare to what we could get at the main street, Estrada Monumental, just down the road (especially Chanceler terrace, ate there three times. Pool bar was in our view expensive so only used it twice. You need to take your own dish cloth. Tea towel was provided.
We were more than pleased and would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: rooms on east side are cooler as afternoon sun on west side. higher floors give better views - say...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple