The Flame Tree Madeira
$292
$182
Elvoline
  • Pool
All reviewsguest housesmall hotelbalcony sea viewbudget hotelsmall poolexcellent wifilovely terracebreakfast includedbus servicebreakfast and dinnercharming hoteltown centrecleaned every dayrelaxing breakeach eveningbus stopplenty of choice
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 27, 2013

We stopped for 3 nights on half board from 23rd March and found this hotel to be excellent value for money. The bedroom was basic but clean. There were 4 electrical sockets and the room had a small balcony with table and chairs. The food was extremely good for a two star hotel and the manager and staff were all very courteous and helpful.
We have stopped in many different hotels in Madeira over the years and feel in a good position to compare relative pros and cons. Is it on a par with the Cliff Bay? Of course not ! but would I rather spend 5 nights at Vila Camacho half board or one night at the Cliff Bay (which costs the same) then we would have to say this wins hands down and that is no disrespect to the Cliff Bay where we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.
We would struggle to come up with a better value half board option hotel in Madeira than this one and we would 100% stop here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank lorriejinx
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel twice now, each time was just a 3 day short visit. If you are visiting Madeira to visit fiends like me then this hotel is ideal if you don't mind walking, as it is a twenty minute walk to the town center.
Personally I would not choose it if I did not have car rental each time as the walk is up and down some steep hillsides, although there is a regular bus service that stops just at the bottom of the hotel steps.
On arrival I was offered the room upgrade the second time which I took, but looking back I would not have bothered, as the evening meal which was included in the deal was not what I would call sufficient. The first evening I choose steak and chips, and that is all I got.
A small steak with some chips no salad, no veg. So I didn't dine there again until I left.
The breakfasts are fine, and if you stay away from from running up a bar bill, which can be an expensive lesson that I learned on my first visit, but please bare in mind that the owners have to make some money somewhere so I did not mind a bill for 20 euros for 3 drinks.
To sum up
It is clean
The staff are helpful and friendly
It is very cheap if you stick to just your room and breakfast.
An ideal hotel for anyone on a budget

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I've read the reviews about the offer of an upgrade as soon as you get there and it's all true. You are shown the "dungeon" rooms, if you book a room without a balcony. They offer you half board and a balcony room for an extra 90 euros each.....nah, that would double the price of a week's holiday.
The hotel is absolutely fine. Clean, continental breakfast, efficient staff. Friendly unless you have a problem, when they can change from cheeky chappy to argumentative in a second.
Drink prices expensive. 33 cl bottle of beer = 3 euros (£6 a pint).
Don't believe the prices on the drinks menu (ie Short = 4.50 euros plus 1 euro for a mixer). In reality it's 4.50 plus 1.95 for a mixer (6.45 euros for a gin and tonic). On querying it I was told that it was last year's prices and they hadn't updated them. They also advertise the beer as being 40 cl, not 33.
Just small gripes, really, but it all adds up over the week.
Do NOT accept the offer of a litre water bottle when you arrive in your room on booking in. Unless you wish to be presented with a bill for 2.10 euros at the end of your holiday. I presumed it was 'gratis' after half a day flying out there. I refused my bottle (as water is for wimps) but my partner took hers. We were still presented with a bill for 4.20 at the end. Again, no drama, but it starts to grate after a week.
To sum up, a nice value hotel, but a little far out of town for a gentle walk or frequent bus services compared to down town Funchal. (To be fair, they have a Sunday service which my home town doesn't have.)
Give it a go and see what you think.
Mr Bond.

Room Tip: Front facing balconies lose sun early afternoon. Back balconies face the neighbours. Dungeon rooms don't have balconies and are dark.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BondbutnotJames
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Some rewiews mention hassle from the staff to uppgrade ir buy meals, but we did not have a single proposal about that. We got a nice, clean doubleroom for 20 euros per night, easy parking and good cleaning.
The staff loved our baby and fussed over him.
We tried dinner, 12 euro for 3 corse meal, cheap but not the most tasty meal.
Tourigaldo down the road had equal food for half the price, not fancy but a filling meal for 4 euros.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 24, 2013

i spent three days in vila camacho. it is situated in a nice area but it's about half an hour walking to funchal center.

the best way to visit madeira is renting a car. so if u can, this would be the perfect location.
quality/price is perfect. i spent 10€ per night for a nice room.

as soon as you arrive they would offer an upgrade for a better room or just for breakfast. i would not recommend that because you can spend way less having breakfast in city center or as we students do, buying food at the supermarket.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends