“Well worth a visit”

Ranked #40 of 86 Hotels in Funchal
Solihull, United Kingdom
“Well worth a visit”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Our room was very spacious and clean, the maid service was excellent although the times varied considerably each day. We did not have very good weather, cold wind and cloud so spent more time than would be usual in our room.
The pool was too cold to swim in and the poolside furniture was a little tired looking but the poolside bar was convenient although not used very much (the weather probably put people off).
The position of the hotel is good with bus stops in either direction just outside the main entrance and many, many restaurants only a very short walk away.
We did not use the restaurant in the hotel as there seemed to be loads and loads of French/German/Dutch tour parties who although is some cases seemed to take their meals in separate parts of the dining room, often overwhelmed the other guests who were travelling independently.
Value for money and location would mean I would probably return to this hotel.

2 Thank BroadieJ
Miguel G, Front Office Manager at Alto Lido Hotel, responded to this review, January 23, 2017
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback, we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reception Supervisor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed June 25, 2013

pros: The staff is great (receptionist Mr. Carlos is the best!). I heard they speaking German, French, English, Spanish and Portuguese, of course. The breakfast is great, the room is clean, big. Even the extra bed is ok, which is rare. The location is great, the parking is on site, for free and secure.
Cons: They only provide free wifi in the lobby, which is an absurd for an hotel that big nowadays. It is really unpleasant to have to go downstairs every time you want to use internet (and no privacy or silence). I also missed fresh squeezed orange juice during breakfast; Madeira island's oranges are delicious and the industrialized juices they offer are "just drinkable", not good. Breakfast area is a little bit messy.

1 Thank Skjaer

Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Alto Lido has a fabulous location. Just a wal away from almost everything. The view is magnificent (we stayed on the 11th floor and the view over the sea and Funchal was breathtaking). Rooms are large, comfy and clean. Wonderful meals, with so much to choose from. Staff very friendly. Bar with live music / entertainment every night. Bus stop right by the Hotel entrance. This was a flawless stay in Madeira. Highly recommend Hotel Alto Lido.

Room Tip: Chose a high floor room to enjoy the view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank NevesC

Cheadle, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Our room (358) was lovely, in a great location, well specified (large flat screen TV, comfy bed, kitchen, large balcony, plenty of wardrobe space), extremely clean and well maintained. The maids were excellent and rounds where we were didn't start until 11.00, a welcome change from getting "knocked up" at 09.00 or earlier as we find happens at every hotel we've stayed at in Greece!

I wasn't impressed with the breakfast to be honest, the whole thing was badly run with no consistency, important items (like milk) constantly running out, two different types of sausage served on different days, one was OK and a bit like a hot-dog, the other was more like a chipolata and was just fat and gristle, awful, the bacon was undercooked and the fried eggs were like rubber. Yoghurt, cake, the usual continental "stuff" and cereal is also available but it's the same every day and all very bland.

The pools were both too cold, the indoor one although warmer than the outdoor was still giving most people who we saw enter it an unwelcome shock, this doesn't happen at my local Olympic sized swimming pool or most other heated indoor pools I've experienced.

They run a courtesy bus service however they have stopped running what I would consider the two most important times, if you fancy a trip into Funchal after breakfast you can either get the 09.00 (too early) or the 11.30 (too late), they did at one point run 10.00 and 10.30 services but these are no longer available, 10.30 would be perfect, why not consider a change Alto Lido? Also the last bus back is 18.00, please don't assume you will be able to get on this, standing is strictly forbidden so if all the seats are taken (we got the last two despite being there at 17.45) you're walking back!

As others have noted there can be a funny smell in the corridors at times, a bit like cabbage, however this is the fault of the architect not considering the results of open plan buildings as opposed to the hotel itself, I'm afraid short of a total rebuild this will never be resolved as long as there is an in house restaurant.

While the support staff were all very friendly I found the reception staff to be rather unapproachable and lacking in courtesy, I can only recall once in two weeks having a member of staff say "hello" to us as we came back past them to our rooms, the staff preferring to stare at the desk (despite my best efforts to gain eye contact) even late at night when the reception was deserted. A simple nod or "Hello" doesn't take much effort from the alleged front of house staff, only on the last day when checking out did we encounter a young lady who was very helpful and friendly as opposed to indifferent and ignorant.

Despite all of this we would definitely go back, it's a lovely hotel, very clean, very homely and well looked after, it's also in a perfect location for pottering around. Our balcony had a lovely view over the pool area and the Atlantic Ocean in the distance, the bar is also a nice place to be with live music, unfortunately most people vacate by 22.45 leaving you alone with the band, bit awkward....

Room Tip: Try room 358, though I doubt you'll have a choice!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Richard D

Uttoxeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 6, 2013

We have just returned from holiday staying at the 4.star Alto Lido. Ok, the hotel could perhaps do with an update/refurb as decor is little tired and dated. However, this hotel is great. It is in a super location with great views of the ocean, the staff are very friendly and helpful. Breakfast buffet was lovely, good variety of items and fresh. We were only bed and breakfast so can't comment on dinner options but what we saw in the restaurant of an evening looked very good. Room sizes excellent and, for us the main thing....spotless! The maid service is second to one. We had a studio, brilliant size, cleaned every day and to very high standard. Also, indoor pool is fantastic when outdoor pool feels a bit too chilly! Wonderful stay, would definitely return.

Room Tip: Ask for side studio
3 Thank Suze311

Kent
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Thank you staff for making my holiday a relaxing and enjoyable. I booked direct with the hotel I was given the choice of room and my request for a top floor room met, not many hotels would you do that for you. I visited this hotel last year and stayed in room 1419 I found the banging of doors very disturbing at night, it was suggested that the suite 1418 was quiet for the first time I have slept through the night when on holiday. The suite was very comfortable with a sitting room furnished with sofa, arm chairs and a TV. The fridge was empty makes a change I could stock it if I wanted too but I opted to buy my own drinks. The bedroom was well equipped and bed linen changed daily it has a door when closed you could not hear the banging or doors or the elevators. Toilet and shower have all the necessary toiletries and towels changed daily. The public areas are well maintained and very clean.
Don't be put off by the tours that visit this hotel between 9am and 4:30pm you have the run of the hotel, the only stressful time is breakfast. The table layout does not cater for solo traveller only for the groups in the end just sat where I wanted to. You need to find a way to beat the rush I went down at 7:15 am to make sure I did not have to stand in a queue to get a hot drink which are dispensed from a drinks machine. Hot breakfast looked OK not a sausage and bacon person but the choice was there plenty of fruit, yogurt, bread and rolls. This is the only hotel I have visited on my travels does to allow the use of full plates for breakfast you have to use side plates if you are like me and would like to eat your egg on toast forget it the slice of toast is bigger than the plate. I used 6 side plates what a waste of energy and water. My request for a full was turned down by not so happy waiter he was boarding on rudeness. I found the restaurant staff working like robots and looked a miserable bunch.
I would like to thank Laura (reception) for the welcome fruit platter she organised she was ready to help me. Lucia kept the suite looking clean and fresh.
If you are like me and are use to a hot drink when you wake up take a travel kettle with you as there is no tea or coffee making facilities in the room. The hotel does not provide an iron/board so that is something I need to take with me next year. I would return to Alto Lido because it is good value for money friendly staff and guaranteed top floor room.

Room Tip: Suite 1418 corner suite excellent views of the Atlantic
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank IndianKent

Staines, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2013

The hotel is perfectly located and an easy walk to several restaurants catering for all tastes. The Forum Shopping centre is about 10 minutes walk away and there are more restaurants this end of town. Look out for the Tourist Menu options - you can get a 3 course meal for under 10 Euros! The walk into Funchal from the hotel is quite picturesque at points, but beware the road going down to the harbour is pretty steep!
The accommodation itself was more than adequate, however we do not feel that it is necessary to have a stove in the studio apartments - a microwave would have been far more practical and beneficial. Due to the size of the apartment, the amount of cooking utensils/serving dishes available was excessive. Plastic storage containers were non existent which made it difficult to take packed lunches on some of our day trips.
We were in the back section of the hotel (Floor 5) and were subjected to the smells of the dinner, which most evenings was that of over cooked cabbage!! The meal prices in the hotel were expensive and for this reason we ate out each evening.
The hotel laundry facilities are very expensive. The nearest Laundromat (which they don't tell you about) is either at the Forum Centre or Monumental Lido - both of which will do a load of washing and charge you a rate/kilo!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends