We stayed at the Bela Vista in August 2008 after much reviewing and searching. Our welcome was very polite and our room was large with a balcony overlooking the drive and courtyard. The air-conditioning was not working and, although bearable, took 3 days to fix. If you like regency/stately home type rooms...this is for you, I think the TV dated from the same period as some of the furniture too! For a 5 star hotel, the lack of tea/coffee making facilities within the room is surprising. If like us you wake early and like the routine of a cuppa in bed, calling room service to deliver a silver tray adorned with a pewter teapot filled with the weakest brew imaginable, for 6 Euros a throw, is just not cricket! The 'Quinta is some distance from Funchal centre, and I would not recommend the steep walk (through a much built up residential area). A Courtesy bus is scheduled throughout the day but does not run later into the evening should you wish to dine out.
The Pool area, as many have said before, is excellent. Very quiet, relaxing and clean. All drinks are waiter served and the pool-side snack bar is also a nice spot to look over the bay and the hill-side...although again, expensive. We ate in the Manor House restaurant 3 nights out of the 7 and the quality of the food and service was excellent, very special (and taking into consideration the return taxi fees added to the "poorer” offerings in town) worthwhile! The outdoor ambience of a table on the cobbles outside the Manor House in the grounds is superb (only slightly tarnished by the background music of Katy Melua ...every night)
Overall, I think the Quinta is a grandiose, quality hotel. We are both in our 40's, well travelled and appreciate the 'finer things in life' but believe the Bela Vista is more suited to a sedate and older clientele of which its charm and antique's will impress, With its lacking of a few essentials (Room facilities, TV Tea/coffee) the location, and the overall cost, does not represent good value (Which sums up Funchal as a whole for us)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We strive to give you the warm and genuine hospitality of the traditional Madeiran Quintas. There are many moments to be cherished at Quinta da Bela Vista, one of the most select and exclusive family properties on Madeira island. This five star hotel enveloped in two hectares of luxurious botanical gardens – the ideal place to relax and enjoy spectacular views - hosts a significant antiques private collection. Our commitment ensures every guest wishes are fulfilled, making you feel at home. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, Hotel.de, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, Priceline and HotelQuickly so you can book your Quinta da Bela Vista reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Quinta Da Bela Vista Hotel Funchal
- Quinta Da Bela Vista Funchal
- Quinta Da Bela Vista Madeira/Funchal