This is a delightful hotel which seems to be very well run and staffed by the most caring and efficient people.
We had a junior suite which had a separate living room which was so nice to have. Two large sliding doors led out on to a balcony. Yes there is a main road next to the hotel but really didn't notice the noise in particular.The gardens are lovely and so restful to sit in.
In fact there are so many places to sit in comfort in the hotel you will be spoiled for choice.
Another wonderful choice is the breakfast. So much to choose from and again the staff were all without exception very kind and work hard to ensure that everyone is satisfied.
There were people of all ages staying at the hotel and from what we observed all were made to feel part of the hotel family. The Madeiran people are very gentle polite and patient and these attributes were evident at the hotel. It is no wonder that so many peopel return to the QSJ for their vacation.
As for position for us it was excellent. It is in the middle of two areas. The commercial part of the Lido area is 10 minute walk away to the right going down towards the sea and the town and Old town 10 to 15 minute walk away in the opposite direction.
Personally the Lido area doesn't have much in the way of atmosphere and was most disappointed in the Forum shops. The town and old town near to the cable car is much more interesting and the indoor market is great fun. There are a lot of sea front works going on and will be a great asset to Funchal when it is finished.
I would certainly stay at the QSJ hotel again. As much as it has a traditional air it has a contemporary side. It has homely sophistication and feels warm and loved and this is borne out by the warmth of all its staff.
Congratulations to all as you really do have a winning formula.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Built within the grounds of an historic "Quinta" of Funchal, Quintinha de Sao Joao resurrects perfectly the magic of the old Madeiran residences. There are 42 spacious rooms in total, all equipped with the most up-to-date facilities with splendid views over the gardens. Bar, restaurant, heated outdoor and indoor swimming pools and full Spa are included facilities. The careful attention to detail and the excellent personal service brings to life our motto "Home from Home." ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Hotwire, HRS, TravelUp, HostelWorld, Orbitz, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Quintinha Sao Joao reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Quintinha Sao Joao Funchal
- Quintinha Sao Joao Hotel Funchal
- Quintinha Sao Joao Madeira/Funchal