This is a gem of an hotel, unlike any other we have known. It is not merely the charming building with its elegant furnishings and tasteful decor, its delightful gardens with ancient trees, shrubs and colourful flowers ~ but the ambience, the tranquility and the certainty that we are truly in our second home, our "Home in Madeira".
In our earlier reviews ( this was our 19th. stay at the QSJ ) we have enthused in detail over the delights and amenities of the hotel and these have improved even more with each visit.
We cannot praise the staff too highly and it is their skill and helpfulness, patience and diplomacy which give the QSJ its very special place in our hearts. Andre Barreto, the General Manager, is most charming and kind, always welcoming. Rosie, his assistant, is a mine of information on Madeira and its people and will go to great lengths to ensure that guests are well-informed and have all the advice they require.
The reason we prefer to stay at the QSJ in June ( although since 2000 we have visited during each month except March ) is that we love to be there for the Festa dos Santos Populares, i.e. Santo Antonio, Sao Pedro and Sao Joao. The entire island celebrates these saints during June with flowers, fireworks, displays, processions, concerts, music and dancing. At the QSJ the Festa de Sao Joao is celebrated with a traditional evening meal ~ this year a buffet ~ enjoyed in the grounds of the beautiful Quinta, the "Mother House". Then we were entertained by the wonderful singing of Sarah Borges, accompanied by Marcio at the keyboard. Marcio regularly plays the grand piano in the Bar Vasco da Gama, including at the Manager's cocktail party each Tuesday. This is a great opportunity for getting acquainted with other guests.
So many guests return year after year, as we do. We can think of no finer recommendation than this for a stay at the QSJ !
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Built within the grounds of an historic "Quinta" of Funchal, Quintinha de Sao Joao resurrects perfectly the magic of the old Madeiran residences. There are 42 spacious rooms in total, all equipped with the most up-to-date facilities with splendid views over the gardens. Bar, restaurant, heated outdoor and indoor swimming pools and full Spa are included facilities. The careful attention to detail and the excellent personal service brings to life our motto "Home from Home." ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Odigeo, Otel, Travelocity, HotelTravel.com, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your Quintinha Sao Joao reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Quintinha Sao Joao Funchal
- Quintinha Sao Joao Hotel Funchal
- Quintinha Sao Joao Madeira/Funchal