My wife and I stayed at this wonderful hotel from 21st - 28th January and as so many have said before it really is an " oasis of calm. " The staff are exceptional, extremely professional, courteous, friendly and go out of their way to help. Rosie, Guest Relations really is a marvel. When we were shown to our room the double bed I had expected was actually two large singles put together and as each were made up separately they may well have been at either end of the room. Normally I e mail the hotel specifically asking for a double bedded room however on this occasion I didn't so accepted the situation however I mentioned this in passing to Rosie and on returning to our room that evening the bed had been converted to a double. It was my wife's birthday the following day and that evening after returning from a superb meal at " The Fort " restaurant, reccommended and booked for us by Rosie we found a bottle of champagne on ice and a birthday cake in the room. As we couldn't tackle this after such a wonderful dinner I mentioned this to Rosie the next morning and the cake and champagne were removed from the room and served up to us on the terrace when we returned to the hotel after a morning strolling through the streets of Funchal. What a wonderful gesture. This lady is a "gem".
The communal rooms remind me of an English Country House hotel with the beautiful furnishings, pictures and "objet d' art " and the bedrooms are enormous. Our room, a junior suite also had a large bathroom with separate shower and a separate toilet. The whole place is absolutely spotless as are the grounds. Madeira is a very beautiful and interesting island with the West and East island tours a " must " also the Palace and Botanical Gardens at Monte, the fish, flower and fruit market in Funchal should not be missed. Just strolling through the back streets of Funchal conjures up memories of many quaint English cities in the 60s - SAFE and not in the least threatening. If you have not been to Madeira - put it on the list. this is our third visit to the island and hopefully there will be many more.
Now to the " but " in my title. I think you will realise from what I have written that my wife and I are very impressed by Quintinha Sao Joao however we have visited many first class hotels in various parts of the world and this is right up there with some of the nicest that we have visited BUT FOR THE FOOD - which is at best average. Quite frankly having read so many reviews before visiting this hotel very few reviewers mentioned the food although some did mention the " wonderful breakfasts ". Well I can only think that the chef must have left because the food even at breakfast was, to us, very very very disappointing.
Will we back to this hotel - ABSOLUTELY YES.
This hotel is lovely - creative, well cooked, well presented food would be " the icing on the cake "
Also a special mention for Rosie in the restaurant, Diwarti who was hosting in the restaurant - a very interesting individual who took a great deal of moaning from me about the food and also the two Tonys in the bar who were excellent.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Built within the grounds of an historic "Quinta" of Funchal, Quintinha de Sao Joao resurrects perfectly the magic of the old Madeiran residences. There are 42 spacious rooms in total, all equipped with the most up-to-date facilities with splendid views over the gardens. Bar, restaurant, heated outdoor and indoor swimming pools and full Spa are included facilities. The careful attention to detail and the excellent personal service brings to life our motto "Home from Home." ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, HostelWorld, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotwire, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Quintinha Sao Joao reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Quintinha Sao Joao Funchal
- Quintinha Sao Joao Hotel Funchal
- Quintinha Sao Joao Madeira/Funchal