Quintinha Sao Joao Hotel
This hotel just misses being a really top rate hotel. On the plus side are:
An exceptional group of staff - friendly, efficient and warm without being in any way servile. A good sign of quality of management is that most of the staff have been there for years and years.
An excellent buffet breakfast, with great variety, especially of breads and fruit. Every cooked breakfast is prepared to order, as it should be. Too many so called top hotels are lazy and sloppy when it comes to this area of food, and pre-prepare cooked breakfast.
Good public areas with comfortable arm chairs and attractive furniture.
An indoor and outdoor pool and spa area add some star rating, but sadly they have cut into the garden area too much. There is a pleasant veranda area, surrounded by plants and trees, which must be wonderfully cool in summer - but in winter is a bit on the chilly side.
I would advise NOT to book half board. There are plenty of good restaurants in town (c 25 mins walk), and, unless you firmly want a 4 course meal every night, the a la carte menu is really not much more expensive and has a far greater variety.The set menu is a little on the ‘safe’ side, and a little bland, maybe trying to be all things to all people and falling a little ‘between the stools’. There is no Goan food on the set menu , for instance, and yet the chef is noted for that style of cooking. However I mentioned this in passing to the reception staff and they arranged for us to ‘swap’ food for a few nights - but you have to ask!
But is was undoubtedly the staff who shone and made our holiday a top class one.
When booking (especially in winter) ask for 2nd or 3rd floor room so you get the sun on your balcony. 1st and ground floors are shaded.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Built within the grounds of an historic "Quinta" of Funchal, Quintinha de Sao Joao resurrects perfectly the magic of the old Madeiran residences. There are 42 spacious rooms in total, all equipped with the most up-to-date facilities with splendid views over the gardens. Bar, restaurant, heated outdoor and indoor swimming pools and full Spa are included facilities. The careful attention to detail and the excellent personal service brings to life our motto "Home from Home." ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotel.de, Travelocity, Priceline, HostelWorld and Hotels.com so you can book your Quintinha Sao Joao reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Quintinha Sao Joao Funchal
- Quintinha Sao Joao Hotel Funchal
- Quintinha Sao Joao Madeira/Funchal