“Clean & Friendly Budget Hotel.”
Review of Hotel do Carmo

Hotel do Carmo
Ranked #35 of 88 Hotels in Funchal
Reviewed May 28, 2013

My wife and I arrived mid May and were warmly welcomed at the reception and given room 502, this room was spacious with a good sized bathroom and was cleaned on a daily basis. We were lucky to have a nice view of the Monte Palace tropical gardens from our window. The twin beds were comfortable, but the pillows were too small for my liking. The buffet breakfast was reasonable as it was inclusive, but I would not pay 10 euros if not been inclusive. There were fresh rolls and bread and the fruit salad was nice, but the drinks,croissants and the scrambled egg were not to our liking. Well located for the cable car to Monte Palace and close to the bus station and market. situated on a side street near to a construction area made the roof top pool rather noisy also the work on the sea front carried noise if the wind was in the wrong direction. Overall a good base for someone who just wants a clean and friendly hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of Monte Palace and the cable car up to it.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank NewarkDelboy

Reviewed May 20, 2013

Very central place to discover the old Funchal. The room was nice and clean. The staff was friendly. There is a place for parking the car which is not negligible in Funchal. The breakfats buffet was very good.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank Hamm14
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Arrived in Funchal on the 29th April.The original hotel I was booked into was a complete disaster,I refused to stay and immediately checked out..Which left me with a problem ! where was I going to go ?
I walked around the corner and saw The Hotel Do Carmo along a side street.I enquired if they had any rooms for a weeks stay.Very nice girl on reception said she had and a young porter showed me the room first (306)...I accepted immediately. Very reasonable rate at EURO 55 per night.
Room was minimally furnished,but spotless and clean.Huge ELVIS mural on the wall above the bed.Bed clothes again spotless and fresh.Plenty of spare pillows and blankets in the closet.Plenty of hanging space and drawer space so you could properly unpack and feel as if you have moved in.Bathroom immaculate.Nice fluffy towels.Housekeeping of a very very high standard.Rooms cleaned every day.large flat screen tv on the wall opposite the bed,simple to operate.
Public areas of the hotel were also very neat and clean.
I only had breakfast once(the day after arrival)and it was good continental style.Never dined in the hotel after that so I cant comment on dinner. The garden in the evening is stunning and so nice to sit and have a few drinks after a long day out on the town.All the staff are so nice and friendly.I recognised a couple of faces from my last visit in 2010 to this hotel.
It has improved a fair bit since renovation a couple of years ago,and I will definately be going back.So so so sad to leave on 06/05/13..

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank intrepidtraveller40
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Good things:
+ Service was really good.
+ even though we had 2 beds, it wasn't very uncomfortable to sleep in them when we pulled them next to each other (they stayed close to each other very well unlike some we've used).

Neutral:
* Neighbourhood: close to many dining places, but in the middle of many buildings that look bad or are under construction.
* Wifi: internet is free in the lobby, but it didn't seem to handle more than 4 people using it at the same time - either it didn't allow you to connect to it at all or it disconnected you after every couple of minutes even after someone restarted the server.

Bad things:
-Everything on the breakfast table seemed to be cheapest possible solution. Drinks from drink dispenser were most horrible. Also scrambled eggs and bacon (the only warm food offered there from day to day) tasted really bad - i really don't know how it is possible to ruin those raw products to make them taste that bad :(
-Instead of blanket case for large blanket they just used extra sheet. Fortunately 1-person blankets had proper blanket cases.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank uats
Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

What a fabulous hotel tucked away in the backstreets of Funchal's old centre! I was greeted by name before I'd barely entered the lobby, never mind got to the desk. While I checked in, I was offered a complimentary glass of sparkling wine. I had a lovely room and the staff were both courteous and extremely helpful arranging trips for me, giving me a late checkout on my last day and generally friendly and kind. It felt like a four-star and it ought to be. I will definitely stay here again when I return to Madeira.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank LouiseBusyBee
Reviewed March 25, 2013

The staff make this a very enjoyable place to stay, very helpful and pleasant happy to help with any thing and knowledgeable. Very much enjoyed our stay here comfortable and clean, the room maids were exceptional.
Didn't eat here as we wanted to visit various restaurants so unable to comment on quality of food.

Clean and basic but with a little extra , well situated in the old town, good value for money would come back.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dave v
Reviewed March 5, 2013

This is the second visit to this hotel which is ideally situated near the old part of Funchal and within easy walking distance of the main shopping area and port. The Hotel is clean and comfortable providing an adequate buffet style breakfast. We love staying at this hotel as we are made to feel very special. The staff do everything they can to make sure you have a great holiday and will readily advise on the best places to visit or dine. We look forward to our next visit and seeing our friends again.

Room Tip: Pick a balcony room there are some great views across Funchal towards the mountains
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple