Windsor Hotel
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Free Internet
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
All reviewsrooftop poolexcellent locationold townsmall sachetslunchtime menuhairpin bendsfish marketeasy walking distancehot waterfresh towelsfriendly hotellarge supermarketrestaurant stafffew minutes walkreception deskgreat holidaysmall hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 19, 2012

the location was ideal for us in the centre of the old town but anyone who wants to spend time in and around the hotel itself would be badly placed. The restaurant is basicly in the lobby and the pool on the roof is imaculate but tiny.
However, the food was good, the service excellent, the cleaning diligent and the beds comfy. could not ask for more really.

Room Tip: rooms at the back are quiet
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank NedNedUk
Reviewed March 18, 2012

Booked through hotels4u.com I had a flight schdulechange, for this they charge you EUR40- I recommend you to book direct with MBtravels or another transfer service in madeira, which knows how to deal with this in a proper manner..

I have read a lot of articles that Funchal is dull and ugly- I wonder if they mean Funchal Madeira, as this is not in any way true. Its a wonderful little city full of friendly and helpful people.

Hotel Windsor is situated smack in the centre of the city, and you can walk everywhere from here- plenty of cafees, restaurants and shopping just outside your door. Lobbyarea is small and cosy. Receptiondesk staff all very friendly and helpful- they really seem to care about their guests. You can get all sorts of info, maps and booking your excursions here.
You can obtain prepaid wifi tickets- which I do not recommend, I bought 330 mins for 20 EUR- but only got 4H05mins. I was able to connect from my room.

Allthough the windsor has tried to pimp the rooms with some paint, you can not hide the fact that it is becoming old. My room was on the 5th floor streetview. Room good sized with old wooden furniture- its like a 70´ties retro feel expecially the bathroom which was huge and with green tiles- handsoap and 2 small bags of shampoo provided. Plenty of hot water. Doublebed of good quality bad pillows. There is a minibar and a safe (for rent) and a very small telly with plenty of channels in many languages. There is no aircon but I had a fan which was fine for my visit- dont know about the hot summers though. I found the cleaners to be friendly and helpful- and the rooms was clean.

There is a small poolarea on top of the hotel with sunloungers which seemed quite popular. I dont think they use the poolbar, but you can always buydrinks in the lobby bar.

Meals are served in the very small restaurant in the lobby. Breakfast is good with fresh bread, fruitcocktails, juice, cheese and jam. No hot items. Beeing very small you might experience some waitingtime to have a seat. I was on HB and I have to point out that this was my fist hotel that really serves yummi food- fresh and tasty and plentiful. its not often I recommend a hotel restaurant for meals- but this one I do. In general madeiran food IS indeed very tasty and of good quality. Restaurant staff were all friendly and helpful.

I would not rate this city hotel as a 4 star facility- I would say 3star. Quality of service, friendliness and meals I would give 5stars.

Madeira is not a partyplace - its a very unique island with beautiful scenery, If you like a white sandy beach- take a trip to Porto Santo island. Madeiran people are VERY friendly and hospittable- I did feel very welcome here and I will definately return- and I would have No problem whatsoever to stay at the Windsor hotel.

Ohh and even I love the portuguese language I am only able to say very few words- luckily the Portuguese people speaks english.

Room Tip: Think all rooms are the same just a matter if you like streetview and which floor you likie to stay in.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Aeronaut65
Reviewed February 29, 2012

We have visited Funchal in the past. This hotel has advantage of being within easy walking distance of city centre. It has friendly staff and good evening meals. Minor complaints is the continental breakfast is very basic and if hotel is busy you may need to wait for seat. The room we had was nice but small, not what we expected for a 4star hotel. Would we go back YES.

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed February 23, 2012

Spent a week here and, as the weather was unsettled, the central location made it ideal for popping back during the day.From the floor plan it appears that non of the rooms are spacious but we were quite happy with ours.The staff are all friendly and helpful and speak excellent English.We just ate breakfast here but they do provide lunch and dinner, which as we passed by, looked good. However you are really close to dozens of lovely restaurants in the old town.Try the Madeiran garlic bread! If you'd rather keep your cash for spending whilst you're away and pay less than most other hotels for your room, then this hotel is the one for you. Incidentally, we found ALL the Madeirans courteous and helpful.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Kelly39
Reviewed October 30, 2011

Very professional and warm service, the hotel is so good as its staff is, thank you! Nice surprise was half arced bathroom and lot of room in this. Very clean, possibilty to open window and use the fan. Very nice for people, who do not like dry and technical air. The open air corridors between two blocks of hotel were comfortable sightseeing platforms too.
Little bit tricky was using hair- dryer, there was two switches, one on the hanging panel and other on the same panel of the bathroom light, both need to switch on :-)
The pool area and sun terrace were perfect and clean, may be water in the basin can be 2 degree warmer.
And of cource location, all is near - beach, port, shopping, museums, funiculor, restaurants and coffe shops, old down, transportation, trip advisers, markets, gardens, chuchies... all, what you can wish from trip and if ypu need to rest, then after 5-10 minutes you can be back in your hotel room.

Room Tip: If it is possible, ask the room on the 5th floor and window to the backyard- not noisy and nice view to the mountain and city.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo