Arrived back yesterday from my third trip to Madeira and third stay at Casa Velha. A warm, friendly and relaxing place with great service, beautiful surroundings and the perfect place to chill out. The first two times we booked through an agent, but this last time I booked directly with the hotel so as to enjoy an "Adventure" package. A really good deal and great fun, including a levada walk and Landrover safari amongst other things. The team are a brilliant. Every little detail cared for. Luis and his team in the restaurant are relaxed yet efficient and make you feel special. On our first night, I was amazed that he remember us from our last trip over three years ago! Nothing was too much trouble and the food is so yummy and beautifully presented. The rooms are spacious and immaculate. The grounds are beautiful, especially appealing to those who love flowers. The hotel arranged for car hire and all the trips. If you like slightly scary off-roading in spectacular scenery, the Landrover safari is an experience worth doing. We went places I didn't even think a Landrover would go! We had an excellent driver. The "Adventure" package is fun and can be adapted to your tastes. Being able to hire the "Balancal" for sea trips is also good. Have done this twice now. Very enjoyable.
Being out of Funchal in the hills above, is peaceful and refreshing. Having free access to the botanical gardens is a real bonus. A great place to spend some quiet time. The Tea House is great for a coffee and delicious home-made cake. Also, it is worth taking a walk across the golf course to the Clubhouse where the view across Funchal is worth seeing. The food is good there too.
All in all, an excellent week in beautiful surroundings. A few words to the Casa Velha management - don't change, don't expand, we love the hotel just the way it is!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Casa Velha do Palheiro is a graceful 5 star Madeira country house hotel with 37 luxurious rooms.The hotel is situated next to the famous Palheiro Gardens, originally created over 200 years ago. Hotel facilities include: Championship golf course, full spa facilities including indoor and outdoor heated pools as well as a variety of treatments, fishing boat for whale and dolphin watching and big game fishing. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Prestigia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com and Jetsetter so you can book your Casa Velha do Palheiro reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Casa Velha Do Palheiro Hotel Funchal
- Casa Velha Do Palheiro Madeira/Funchal