Having had a fabulous holiday last year we returned to Casa Velha, which is something we rarely do as it usually turns out to be a disappointment. Fortunately this did not turn out to be the case.
Everything was up to the standard if not better than when we came last year (review 'paradise')
Although last year we received the warmest of welcomes and wonderful service, this year as returning guests the welcome was unbelievable. we arrived at about 11.00 am but were given access to the room, although understanably we had to wait about 10 minutes for the housekeeping to be finished, so we were shown to the library, where we were given drinks while we waited. Celeste, the General Manager of the hotel, made a point of coming in to the library and welcoming us back. All the reception and hotel staff that we had met last year all recognised us and made a point of saying welcome back. We were then shown to our rooms to find they had allocated us the same rooms as last year, a nice touch. The same happened
with our table in the restaurant, and in the Breakfast room. All the hotel and restaurant staff gave us our names whenever they saw us.
On our first visit to the clubhouse we were given the same warm welcome, even hugs from the girls in the pro shop. jonathon, the MD of the golf club made a point of finding us on the terrace and welcoming us back. Again the Srarters and course marshals made us welcome and would wave whwnever we saw them on the course.
As we said last year a fabulous golf couse and the food and service every bit as good if not better than last year.
This year we found the time to cisit the tropical gardens which can be accessed from the hotel, they are truly beautiful, and took in a visit to the Blandy wine lodge in Funchal, and learnt about the History of the Blandy family (the owners of Casa Velha and Palheiro Golf) in Madeira.
We were also lucky enough to be invited to a wine tasting in Funchal where over 80 suppliers from all over Portugal were giving free tastings of their wine. We will have to return as we didn't quite get round them all.
A fabulous holiday in a home from home. We will definately be returning.
The Porter Family
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Casa Velha do Palheiro is a graceful 5 star Madeira country house hotel with 37 luxurious rooms.The hotel is situated next to the famous Palheiro Gardens, originally created over 200 years ago. Hotel facilities include: Championship golf course, full spa facilities including indoor and outdoor heated pools as well as a variety of treatments, fishing boat for whale and dolphin watching and big game fishing. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Casa Velha do Palheiro reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Casa Velha Do Palheiro Hotel Funchal
- Casa Velha Do Palheiro Madeira/Funchal