Firstly, Madeira is not a beach, resort type of place. Staying in a hotel like this with sea views and a decent pool / garden is good. We were very glad to be based in Funchal and take excursions to explore the island. Porto Santa Maria is located on the edge of the old town. The streets here are full of good restaurants and we enjoyed dining out with "b & b" in the hotel. We took dinner in the hotel twice (on their "gourmet" nights) and the food was good. The breakfasts were super and the staff very helpful, led by the vivacious and very welcoming Lina. The bar is a pleasant room with some outside terrace seating available and the bar service was great. The cleaning staff were also good but we found the reception staff rather mixed and I don't think the manager was visible at all. The rooms are ok at 4 star and always clean. A sea view is worth having and avoid the rooms looking over the park because (as others have noted) it is a place for people who have to sleep outside.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Porto Santa Maria lies at the water's edge in the very heart of Funchal's old centre. Its close relationship to the sea, the outstanding and exclusive views over the harbour where the cruise ships dock, its picturesque surroundings and the unique flavours of its cuisine result in genuine urban tranquility. A congenial hotel offering 146 rooms, restaurant, bars, direct access to the promenade, outdoor pool, indoor pool, SPA, gym, parking...all in the heart of the city. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Orbitz, getaroom.com, Travelocity, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your Porto Santa Maria Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Porto Santa Maria Funchal
- Porto Santa Maria Hotel Madeira/Funchal