We really enjoyed our week at Porto Santa Maria. It is a lovely hotel situated in the Old Town of Funchal & on the seafront too, so you get the best that Funchal offers!
The food was lovely, but if you fancied a change, the restaurants in the Old Town( also serving great food) were just a minutes walk away.
The hotel is small compared to the Porto Mare ( a sister hotel in Funchal) but it has other things to offer because of it's size. Many of the guests return year after year, so get to meet up with other returning guests. It almost seems like family!
The entertainment is varied & of a high standard. The lounges are comfortable, the dining room spacious with friendly staff & the hotel is spotless in every aspect.
Lena, the Guest Relations manager, is always around making sure you are having the best holiday in Madeira.
The only downside for me was the size of the pool. I do swim a lot on holiday, so I found it a bit on the small side for me.
There were always enough sun beds & most people didn't worry about getting up early to reserve them!
All in all, I would certainly recommend this hotel. There are problems with the construction of the new promenade in front of the hotel & along the seafront, but work started at 8 am & finished at 6 pm and wasn't too intrusive. I would stay there again, providing I could get in there before it gets booked up by all its returners!
It's also adult only, a big plus if you want a quiet holiday!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Porto Santa Maria lies at the water's edge in the very heart of Funchal's old centre. Its close relationship to the sea, the outstanding and exclusive views over the harbour where the cruise ships dock, its picturesque surroundings and the unique flavours of its cuisine result in genuine urban tranquility. A congenial hotel offering 146 rooms, restaurant, bars, direct access to the promenade, outdoor pool, indoor pool, SPA, gym, parking...all in the heart of the city. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Odigeo, HotelTravel.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA and Hotels.com so you can book your Porto Santa Maria Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Porto Santa Maria Funchal
- Porto Santa Maria Hotel Madeira/Funchal