My husband and I have just returned from a week at the Porto Santa Maria Hotel in Funchal. It is a wonderful hotel right on the prom facing the harbour. Okay at the moment there are works going on on the Prom however, we sat by our pool every day and we were not annoyed or even noticed any noise. The view was not spoiled either by the work you look out beyond that out to sea it was lovely.
The hotel itself was fantastic a genuine 4 star hotel. Our room was very spacious with very comfortable beds, plenty of storage space and the bathroom was large and spacious as well. The little kitchen containing a sink, hob and fridge with kettle was great as I like my morning and evening cuppa on the balcony. Can I say it is worth the little cost for an upgrade to be guaranteed a full sea view.
The breakfast was wonderful and as in all good 4 star hotels every need of the guest is catered for taste wise I defy anyone to say they could not find something they liked to eat. Only comment I would say is the Alpro Soya milk was not on display and we had to ask for it every morning. The hotel also offered little jugs of fresh milk in the morning if you wished to take one (free) to your room . Tea and coffee is not supplied as part of the room facilities however we always take our own but getting that little jug of fresh milk daily is a nice touch.
The hotel Pool Bar has great food on offer and it is displayed as if you were in a fancy restaurant and not a Poolside bar. We enjoyed all the lunches we had there and it was not expensive at all.
We like to eat in local restaurants so were only B & B however on the Saturday night the hotel had a BBQ instead of the normal evening buffet meals so we decided to book in for that. It was a GREAT night the staff were wonderful making it all extra enjoyable for the guests. The food was fantastic with lamb, port kebabs, steak, chicken and all the fancy starters and salads, sweets and ice creams and with the chefs on show cooking it was a good night. The little band they had played great music just our style all the music from the late l950s to the early 1970s with any other popular music by request. All the guests and staff were dancing - it was one of those good nights you remember for ages. The next morning at breakfast everyone was chatting about the BBQ with guests telling the staff how good it was and it they were not there they should go next week. At 10.30 p.m. after the BBQ we were all taken up to the roof of the hotel to see the fireworks over the harbour there was free champagne and canapes courtesy of the hotel it was a lovely end to a great evening. We would have been able to have the same view from our balcony but not the same atmosphere with the company of the other guests and staff.
The maid attending to us - we were in room 124 - was really nice and cheery, very helpful and really really nice she was just great fun and her English was good. She is the best maid we have had and we have stayed in some really good 4 and 5 star hotels all around the world.
All in all we had a great holiday and I would recommend the Porto Santa Maria to anyone for a holiday.
Well done to all the staff you were great.
There are many restaurants close by the best being the Fort see my review of restaurants
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Porto Santa Maria lies at the water's edge in the very heart of Funchal's old centre. Its close relationship to the sea, the outstanding and exclusive views over the harbour where the cruise ships dock, its picturesque surroundings and the unique flavours of its cuisine result in genuine urban tranquility. A congenial hotel offering 146 rooms, restaurant, bars, direct access to the promenade, outdoor pool, indoor pool, SPA, gym, parking...all in the heart of the city. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotwire, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Porto Santa Maria Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Porto Santa Maria Funchal
- Porto Santa Maria Hotel Madeira/Funchal