We returned home on 20 May after a week at this hotel. It's true that a lot of work is ongoing but the hotel itself (and 10 euros each per day) makes up for this. The hotel is immaculate and the pool area beautiful. Although the machinery was noisy at times, it certainly didn't bother us too much, and work times avoid early a.m, evenings and weekends. At least my husband had plenty to watch from our sea view balcony!
Our room was lovely and the beds so comfortable (excellent quality pillows). We also had small kitchenette area, which we hadn't realised we would have!
We found cooked breakfast wasn't always hot, and had to return a bar meal which was lukewarm. We also on one occasion ordered a la carte in the restaurant - this took a LONG time to deliver. The meals were delicious, though, it has to be said. Guests should be aware you need to pre-book your evening meal - do this after breakfast as the 7 p.m sitting is very popular. We did think 27 euros quite pricey for the buffet, however.
We enjoyed a little bar up the road, very cheap, snacks and drink excellent with stunning views, La Barreirinha. Also many good restaurants locally.
It's a shame that the lovely promenade past the harbour has the views obscured by boarding because of the works. However, altogether this was a lovely break at a quality hotel, ideally placed in the nicest part of Funchal.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Porto Santa Maria lies at the water's edge in the very heart of Funchal's old centre. Its close relationship to the sea, the outstanding and exclusive views over the harbour where the cruise ships dock, its picturesque surroundings and the unique flavours of its cuisine result in genuine urban tranquility. A congenial hotel offering 146 rooms, restaurant, bars, direct access to the promenade, outdoor pool, indoor pool, SPA, gym, parking...all in the heart of the city. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, Hotwire, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Porto Santa Maria Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Porto Santa Maria Funchal
- Porto Santa Maria Hotel Madeira/Funchal