The hotel is in a brilliant situation, right on the sea and you just walk out of the gates and there are lots of excellent restaurants.Most of the hotels in Funchal are on the other side of town, up a hill, in a great mass of concrete. The only downside at present is that they are doing major constuction work on new sea defences and channelling rivers to avoid the floods of 3 years ago.I think it will go on all this year as they are literally moving mountains. We had a great sea view room but some people found the constant stream of dumper trucks intrusive. It didn't really bother us, and I always managed to sleep through it each afternoon. It is very clear on the hotel website and they do give you a credit of €10 a day to spend in the bars.
The staff were great, the breakfast and bar snacks good and the facilities excellent. We used the indoor pool or gym every day. Highly recommended
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Porto Santa Maria lies at the water's edge in the very heart of Funchal's old centre. Its close relationship to the sea, the outstanding and exclusive views over the harbour where the cruise ships dock, its picturesque surroundings and the unique flavours of its cuisine result in genuine urban tranquility. A congenial hotel offering 146 rooms, restaurant, bars, direct access to the promenade, outdoor pool, indoor pool, SPA, gym, parking...all in the heart of the city. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, HotelTravel.com, Priceline, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com and Odigeo so you can book your Porto Santa Maria Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Porto Santa Maria Funchal
- Porto Santa Maria Hotel Madeira/Funchal