We exchanged two weeks of our timeshare for two weeks in the Pestana Village Aparthotel at the end of February 2013. Our apartment was a studio i.e. it had one room plus a bathroom. Having said that it was a large and spacious room with two easy chairs, a dining table and two chairs, a kitchenette, two single beds pushed together, and a large balcony with table and two chairs. It was absolutely fine for the two of us. The little kitchenette was well equipped with a kettle, coffee filter machine, toaster, microwave with grill and a hob with two solid hotplates. We tended to have breakfast and lunch in our room and eat out in the evening at one of the many local restaurants. We didn't use the hotel restaurants or bars at all - they all seemed fairly pricey.
The hotel is set in beautiful gardens and we were lucky enough to have a view over the gardens from the balcony. We were not lucky enough to have good weather during our stay, although it was warmer than the UK! All the staff were very pleasant and the apartment was well maintained. Unusually for timeshare, we had a daily maid service and towels and beds were changed regularly. Also unusual for timeshare, washing up liquid, tea towels, soap, shampoo and shower gel were all provided. The apartment also had a hairdryer in the bathroom, and iron and ironing board, an electric heater and blankets (it did get cold at times) and towels for the pool. In fact we were short of nothing that we needed.
The hotel is in a good location - about 15 minutes walk in to the centre of Funchal - a lovely town that has retained a lot of its charm. There is a large supermarket in the town but the walk back is uphill and hard work if you are carrying a lot of heavy bags. There is a small Spar shop two minutes from the hotel which has all the basics but is probably more expensive. We chose to shop there and found everything that we needed but we only needed things for breakfast and lunch. There is also an excellent 'Pastelaria' close by that sells wonderful cakes and coffee. We also bought sandwiches to take out from there on our last day when we had run out of supplies!
We went on three organised levada walks. We had intended to do the walks on our own but we would have needed a hire car to get to the start of most of the walks and it was probably safer and more fun to do them in a group. We met several other couples of similar age on these walks and met up for a meal and drinks with them later in the holiday.
We enjoyed our holiday and would recommend the Pestana Village hotel particularly to couples looking for a relaxing time - a few walks, leisurely meals and restful days/early nights. There's not much for children to do besides the pool and there are few nightclubs for party animals. Bliss!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The architectural design of Pestana Village and the landscaping of its gardens have been especially planned to be in harmony with the natural beauty and tranquility of the resort’s setting. This sensitivity to the environment will give the resort a truly village-like feel, with low-rise traditional style buildings surrounded by a wealth of colorful and immaculately cared-for gardens. The Pestana Village shares the grounds and services of the Pestana Miramar Hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, World Independent Hotel Promotion, Expedia, PESTANA MANAGEMENT – Serviços de Gestão S.A., Priceline, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Hotwire, Agoda, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Pestana Village Garden Resort Aparthotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pestana Village Garden Resort Aparthotel Hotel Funchal
- Pestana Village Garden Funchal
- Pestana Village Garden Hotel Aparthotel
- Pestana Hotel Funchal
- Pestana Village Garden Resort Aparthotel Madeira/Funchal