We had a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom apartment, No. 7507, which was on the 5th floor and was a timeshare exchange. The bedrooms were roomy with king size beds and plenty of storage; the master was at the front, overlooking the pool and the 2nd bedroom was at the back of the apartment. Overall the apartment was very good and very spacious, although the kitchen was a little tired and the cooker seemed to be rather old and needed updating; a few more cooking utensils would have been useful as well. The view from the balcony was of the sea and harbour in one direction and of the complex swimming pool in the other. Everything was spotless and the maid came in daily to keep it that way. There is a main road just outside, but the noise from the traffic wasn't too bad during the day, and with the doors and windows shut it couldn't be heard at all. We found the bed in the master bedroom very comfortable and our sleep was not disturbed at all.
The indoor swimming pool was very nice and warm, (we didn't try the outdoor one). There were plenty of sun loungers as very few were being used. (Probably because of the time of year). The gardens were very small, but still pleasant.
There was an indoor walkway to the sister hotel, Pestana Village, where you are allowed to use all the facilities. We used the bar in the Winter Garden at the Village Hotel quite a lot. We enjoyed some of the cocktails, but found them a little expensive at €6.50 each. The seating was very comfortable, and the evening entertainment, (which was usually music and singing), was also in this area.
The staff were very efficient and friendly. Marco Bruges, on the reception desk, was fantastic. He always smiled and seem to remember the guests. He also helped with advice on where to eat and what to see, and would help with anything else you needed. Thank you Marco.
Not all of the restaurants on the complex were open. The Restaurant Miramar was, but we didn't use it this week. The Christmas gala dinner was taken in the sister hotel, but there were too many courses for us, so we didn't use it. We either ate in the apartment, or at local restaurants. One we enjoyed was called Lareira Portuguesa.
Funchal was fairly close by, but the city is built on hills with the old town in the valley; which is where the interesting streets and buildings are. There are busses, but it is also within walking distance if you feel up to walking up and down fairly steep hills. The city is fantastic at this time of year. They really go all out with the lights and it took several days to see them all. We enjoyed sitting on the top deck of the tour bus, (cost 12 euros each for a 2 day ticket, but you can get on and off as many times as you like). We also had a lovely day going up to Monte and the gardens in the cable car.
We think that children would enjoy seeing all the Christmas lights in the city, but there seems to be very little else for them to do, unless they like walking.
Overall, we had a wonderful Christmas week here and would highly recommend it. We would like to return at another time of year.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- On the premises of the historic and elegant hotel Miramar, which was built in 1924 and considered a very special place to stay, the new Pestana Miramar Hotel benefits of the attention given to the architecture and landscaping of its gardens. The Pestana Miramar shares the grounds and services of the Pestana Village Hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire, Hotels.com, Booking.com, HotelTravel.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your Pestana Miramar Garden Resort Aparthotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pestana Miramar Garden Resort Aparthotel Hotel Funchal
- Pestana Miramar Garden Funchal
- Pestana Miramar Garden Hotel Aparthotel
- Pestana Miramar Garden Resort Aparthotel Madeira/Funchal