We've just got back from a week in the Mirimar, staying in a Jnr Suite with side sea view.(Room No. 6601 on the 6th floor)
The complex is spotlessly clean and the staff, with only 2 exceptions (2 surly waiters in the Vila restaurant at breakfast time) were very pleasant, attentative and courteous.
The breakfasts were ok, not very hot. Very disappointed that the fruit on offer seemed, in the main, tinned and we only saw bananas on offer once!!! When we breakfasted early on 2 mornings, the fruit salad (which did seem to be made from fresh fruit) was a little jaded, it looked like the previous days put out again. Our meal in the Mediterranean Restaurent was excellent and not that much costly than the better restaurants in the Old Town.
We were disappointed with our room as the side sea view from the balcony was obliterated by a very big tree immediately in front which blocked the view completely, on one side we could look over the complex to the mountains and the other side to the solid white concrete wall of the adjacent hotel. Also at this time of year we had the sun for only a very short time in the morning and were unfortunate with the weather - it was so windy we could only open the bedroom window and balcony doors on 1 1/2 days out of our 7. The other disadvantage was the road noise and smell of traffic fumes. But that apart the Balcony was private and not overlooked.
The top sheet on one twin bed was badly torn, pressed perfectly into place, but nevertheless torn. We left the sheet in such a way that it could not be missed by the cleaning staff - it took 4 days for it to be changed. Not good enough in a 4* hotel. However the beds themselves were the most comfortable we have ever had in an hotel.
The gardens were beautiful and colourfull even in February but they were in desperate need of pruning. So many of the apartments must have been incredibly due to overgrown shrubs and trees.
We enjoyed our stay in Madeira immensly but if you want peace and quiet, don't stay in Funchal itself, it has become an very big bustling town.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Pestana Miramar is a 4-star hotel on Funchal, Madeira, located just a few steps from the centre of the city, surrounded by 5000 m² of tropical gardens. It is located on the old Funchal manor with incredible views of the city, the port and the bay. It sits only 12 minutes on foot from the beach and 15 minutes on foot from the centre of Funchal. During your stay you can enjoy two swimming pools (outdoor and indoor) and relax at the Health Club with a gym, sauna, Turkish bath and Jacuzzi. For dining, you can choose between three restaurants or for lighter meals, the bar. For children we offer the Kids Club, a game room and a giant open air chess set. All rooms are equipped with air conditioning and a balcony overlooking marvellous gardens and the swimming pool. We also offer free Wi-Fi and some rooms have a kitchenette. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with PESTANA MANAGEMENT - Servicos de Gestao S.A., Priceline, Booking.com, Otel, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Pestana Miramar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pestana Miramar Garden Resort Aparthotel Hotel Funchal
- Pestana Miramar Garden Funchal
- Pestana Miramar Garden Hotel Aparthotel
- Pestana Miramar Madeira/Funchal