“Good Holiday but hotel does not warrant 5 stars”

Pestana Casino Park Hotel
Ranked #33 of 85 Hotels in Funchal
Merseyside uk
“Good Holiday but hotel does not warrant 5 stars”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Initial impression of hotel, lobby area was great, really looked top class and modern, then on check in, reception staff unfriendly and took ages, check out staff unfriendly too. Upstairs corridors can only be described as dark and outdated, the dark red carpet in need of replacing. Bedroom OK but again in need of updating and decoration. Beds comfy, bathroom small but exceptional. Furniture on balcony old and tatty. Air con noisy. No tea/coffee in rooms. TV not worthy of a 5 star room (!). Panoramic restaurant for breakfast stunning, but had to queue ages for a table, then staff forgot to bring the coffee. Doesn't seem enough staff to cope. Breakfast good with great choice. Only Teresa, waitress, real friendly. Pool area, jacuzzi, indoor pool and spa fantastic and worthy of the 5 star tag. Terrace bar in evening with live music but poorly attended by guests, bar/waiter service poor. Casino dinner show worthy of a night out.

1 Thank AnnieMerseysideuk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (712)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Largs, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Enjoyed our stay at this hotel although its certainly not what I would class as a 5 star but don't let that put you off. I can highly recommend the hair and beauty salon on the lowest level, I used this salon on several occasions for hair and beauty treatments and was extremely happy with the excellent attention to detail. Would I go back? Yes I think I would but not if I had to pay a 5 star price.

1 Thank Katie K
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 20, 2013

You will not be disappointed with the casino. My husband and I found the rooms more than adequate. It was spacious and spotlessly clean. The staff were great, nothing was too much trouble. We asked to change rooms and it was done with ease. The bar snacks were generous if a tad expensive and the bar staff were very professional. The hotel is in a great position for Funchal centre and I can fully recommend this place.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Holidasyrus
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 17, 2013

We stayed at the pestana casino park from 8th to 15th july, in brief, nice rooms cleaned daily, friendly staff,breakfast very nice fresh food and plenty of choice, great pool and gardens, indoor pool fantastic, cant comment on entertainment cos we went for a walk then a meal out in the evening. bad points; needs a spruce up, better quality towels would be nice.

Room Tip: side sea view rooms get the sun on an afternoon
2 Thank Gordon R
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 16, 2013

This is our 3rd stay at the Pestana Casino Park and our first stay in the Summer (tending to take Winter Sun breaks when we can).

It has a great location. The rooms are large and air conditioned and clean.

A number of staff are, as always, friendly, helpful and great. Others are surly, unhelpful and in one or two cases incompetent.

Despite a facelift, the hotel is looking tired as are a number of the facilities and we were saddened this trip to be hugely disappointed by the quality of the meals on offer.

The nearby Carlton is now on the list of potential hotels if we go back to Madeira which makes me sad because of the happy memories of past glories.

Room Tip: If you have an inland room, you should get sun on your balcony in the morning but will need a room o...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank kittycanard
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

Having looked at other reviews before we booked this last minute holiday , we knew what to expect . The hotel looks grey and lifeless from the outside . Inside it does feel classy . However , it lacks atmosphere and I really didn't enjoy the stained carpets and peeling walls . The pool is superb , and has great views over the harbour ; it really is the hotels saving grace .

I found the service in the hotel average at best . There were too many fake smiles and the staff at reception in particular did not seem to be enjoying their job .

On the first night there was confusion with our bill : we didn't just walk out after the meal, we did ask if we could put the drinks on the room . ( We didn't want to put credit card details on the room ) . So after a hard days travelling , and while we were sleeping ( 10.45 pm ) we received a phone call asking to pay the bill . It was for 12 euros and it wasn't like we could literally leave the country !! I found this incredibly rude and unprofessional. My girlfriend suggested that we could sort it out the next day and we were miffed at the phonecall.

Apart from this we didn't really encounter any unprofessionalism , but to be honest I think this was primarily because we avoided the staff after our first encounter . However , there were two further occasions were I really didn't think the staff were acting in the correct manner .

1) 'happy hour' at the bar - not so happy . The 5 members of staff behind the bar basically took the biscuit . They ignored my girlfriend for about 20 minutes at the bar , then our drinks took about 20-30 minutes to arrive ( they were ready on the bar for about 10 minutes and I nearly went to grab them) . This was deliberate and outrageous behaviour - you either have a happy hour and serve drinks or you just don't have a happy hour . Our plan for the next night was to just buy 8 cocktails in one go , but in the end we just walked into town. My advice - avoid the happy hour and go down the road . You'll get a better atmosphere too . I was not the only customer to complain about their time wasting tactics .

2) on our last day we were due to check out at 12 , and at 11:45 a gentleman came in and very strictly checked our mini bar. He then left and we honestly felt as if we had had a prison inspection!

As for the restaurant downstairs - it's adequate . We used it to save money then ate out when we could . The food potentially could have been very good , but it wasn't . Breakfast was average , and I found dinner to contain cheap food that had been over cooked . Rather than making a choice about what you wanted to eat , I found myself making the choice of eating what looked the best quality . Not the way it should be . There was no sign of fresh fish or any Portuguese style food . Get some decent fresh food in and some good cooks !

Another thing that annoyed me , was having paid for half board , that should be what it entails . No free water - we had to pay for drinks every time - and guess how much a bottle of water was - 3.70 euros !!!! Plus the waiters were very pushy in putting another bottle on our table ( with the top half on) even though we said no twice !

How could I forget - the second night was a pirate night , outside - very tacky . I was looking forward to a meat fest ! It was not . It was cheap over cooked rubbish ; I could have done better myself . Unedible. I particularly enjoyed the novelty of avoiding seagulls pooing on guests as they ate outside !!! I saw a few people get 'hit' !

Madeira as a whole was very lovely , eating out was of a very high quality which I was pleasantly surprised at considering the dismal hotel food. I had heard that madeira was a place for more elderly people but we didn't see this at all ; in fact there were more younger people than us there.

I can't say I despised the hotel ; we had a relaxing time , the beds in the rooms were incredible , the rooms were nice , the pool was very good . However the food was very poor , the hotel needed some serious renovation in parts ( new carpets , new paint ) and the walls were extremely thin but I think we were quite lucky with our neighbours . An overall feeling was that the hotel was struggling slightly ; cutting costs on the food and poor cooks , lack of renovation , and pushy staff . Obviously the hotel is there to make money but there is a professional way to go about it .

My advice is if you get a late deal as we did, go for it and eat out in the great restaurants in town every night . I just feel sorry for anyone who paid full price as it is definitely not worth it . Saying that it was a great holiday , great weather , relaxing and the pool and rooms were to our liking . I have stayed in many five star hotels before and I know what to expect . Pestana casino hotel was nice but quite far off the mark.

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank flamingembargo
Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

No way can this be 5star!! Nice pool with a good view, but that's about it for star rating.... Small functional room, but nothing special. Wifi had no reception other than in the lobby, which itself was lifeless and not a great place...

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business