Pestana Casino Park
  • Restaurant
$159
$135
  • Restaurant
Hotel The Cliff Bay(Funchal)
$261
$232
Travelocity
$258
$242
Melia Madeira Mare Resort & Spa(Funchal)
$139
$128
Melia.com
$162
$139
3,173 results
All reviewsice roomdockside baroscar niemeyerindoor poolbalcony furnitureoverlooking the harbourold townhalf boardfive star hotelsteam roompublic areasgreat positioncruise linersbuilding sitelarge hotelbit datedtown centre
Reviewed May 14, 2011

I thought I wanted to be in the old town area of Funchal, but actually this hotel suited us perfectly. I’d book this hotel again without question. We had a garden view room which had a wonderful view of Funchal and the cable car. Fridge. Good shower. THE 5 English TV channels. The breakfast here is very good, with Fizz available each morning. Small gym but not much in it. Fantastic inside pool area with sauna etc. We did a lot of sunbathing round the pool; the sun was very hot even at this time of year, so I was glad of the odd cloudy spell. We did the hotel promotion (cloudy day!) so chose the free meal and show across at the Casino, and then headed for the disco (weekends only), which was so good we didn’t leave til 3am!
There’s a supermarket just down the slip road in front of you as you come out of the hotel and in the same street are several decent restaurants (including a posh Chinese and at the top of the road a posh curry house) and some pubs. On the main road above is a very nice restaurant; Beef & Wines (with the best Caipirinhas ever & cheap at €3). We walked onto the Old Town quite a lot (the walk didn’t bother us) and ate at a few restaurants, which were all very good, I don’t think you can go wrong here!
At the bottom of the hill from the hotel is a nice shopping centre; clothes etc.
It was our first time in Madeira and we absolutely loved it. It’s got that same civilised feel that we like about the Algarve, decent toilets, ornate buildings, pretty pavements and town squares, cute cobbled streets in the Old town etc.
Oh, and if you are also into thrash metal (no?!), we also spent a very happy drunken night in the Old Bar; tiny so you sit outside.
We did the cable car and toboggan run, not scary so have a go! We’d heard the ‘pullers’ like a tip so had discussed this beforehand, however, Bloke liked it so much, he gave ‘em 2 Euros each -I nearly killed him! We walked down from there (it is steep) into town, took us 30 mins.
I have turned over a new leaf recently, so went jogging most mornings down the hill, through the park, along the prom passed the Cable car station on to the mustard coloured fort. Up to the church and then back through the town: 40 mins. This would also make a nice walk.
Notes:
There are mosquitoes so take plenty of spray.
No tea/coffee making facilities in the hotels.
No Benson & Hedges sold on the island/airport.

Room Tip: High floor
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Kagi
Reviewed May 12, 2011

We booked a very last minute trip to Madeira and arrived in April 2011. We were looking for a week away for less than £500 and were travelling without children (for once!)

I'd seen this hotel on a previous trip to Madeira and made note of it due to its proximity to the centre of Funchal.

The hotel was designed by the brazilian architect Oscar Niemeyer, and is an amazing structure with an amazing sweeping reception area leading into a bar/lounge area which overlooks the VAST dining area. The dining area has views out to sea and you can see the cruise ships coming in and out.

The rooms are spacious and whilst our bathroom was a little dated it was still of very good quality being lined in marble with twin basins, a very powerful shower over the bath and a separate loo and bidet.

We stayed on a bed and breakfast basis. As I already knew Madeira I knew there was a wealth of good places to eat in town, and I can honestly say that whenever I've stayed full board in a hotel of this size I've never been wowed by the food, it has always been a little 'bland' so the idea of half/full board has never really appealed to me.

The breakfasts were fabulous, we really filled up for the day on these. It comprises of buffet of pretty much anything you could want: Bread/croissants, cakes, mini portuguese custard tarts (a MUST), cheese, ham, fruit, cereal, yoghurt, juices. Cooked food...you name it.

The tea was very weak, but it's european tea and not designed to be drunk with milk. If you want stronger tea, take your own tea bags and ask for a pot of hot water/milk. We drank the hotel coffee for breakfast which was ok.

We were invited for a drinks evening to promote the Pestana Vacation club, we filled out a form to be shown their newest resort in exchange for a complimentary evening at the casino. I gather the evening we were given was 55 euros per head, and we had a great evening, although I'm not sure I would've chosen to pay for it. You will be told that the presentation is no more than 90 minutes, but this isn't correct, it's more like 2.5 hours.
That said, we went, we liked what we saw and we bought a timeshare!!!

The only negatives to this hotel were:
- You have to pay 4 euros for a kettle/cups in your room. You don't expect that from a 5* hotel.
- No free wi-fi. Again, not expected from a 5*
- The Reception staff were rather brusque, not especially warm and welcoming. This is in stark contrast to everyone else we met in Funchal who could not do enough for you.
- You cannot check in until 3pm. This was not a problem for us as we arrived at 12noon, left our bags with the concierge and went into town for some lunch. However I could see this as being a problem if you are travelling with small children who need to have a lie down (we'd been up since 4am!)

The pool area was nice and it was also nice to have the indoor pool area as the weather was not great when we were there.

Local restaurant recommendations: Beef and Wines, go out of the Casino Park, turn left walk up the road a little way past the petrol station and it's on your right. They are a brazilian restaurant and specialise in fillet steak on a skewer that they bring to your table (as many times as you like) and carve for you, it's cooked exactly how you want. Don't make the mistake we and have a starter! You won't have room!!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank EmmaKS74
Reviewed May 10, 2011

This hotel has five star pool areas and staff but was more like 3 star.
decor and furnishings were mostly worn and slightly grubby looking although i couldn't fault the cleaning staff.The cooked breakfast was luke warm and although i was told there was free parking there are only 6 spaces for this very large hotel otherwise 6 euros
per day in the casino carpark.If the neighbouring room occupents spoke above a whisper you could hear their conversation
We found madiera and this hotel very bland.

Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank 186273Jennifer
Reviewed May 3, 2011

We stayed at the Casino Park at the end of April 2011 for a week. Looking at a recent review I wondered if we were at the same hotel!!
We checked in (5mins) went to our room and our bags were already there, 30 minutes s later a complimentary bottle of champagne on ice and a small Madeira cake arrived (our wedding anniversary). We had requested a sea view with a sunny balcony and that’s what we got. As the hotel is a long curved building positioned end on to the sea I think all rooms get a sea view by looking left or right and we had the sun from lunchtime until it went down. 500 yds away the Savoy Hotel is being rebuilt but no work took place so can't comment on noise etc. The balcony furniture was wooden slatted with thin cushions, we used the cushions off the couch in the room but this does need sorting. The bathroom was fine as was the room itself although the beds were a bit firm for us. Nice chocolates left by the maid when she turned back the bed every night.
The dining room has views over the pool to the harbour and sea beyond. The furniture is very 70’s and not that comfortable. Breakfast was very good, extensive choice, you name it they had it including champagne. We were B&B and didn't eat in the hotel preferring to use the local restaurants some of which are within 5 minutes walk or 10-15 to the centre of Funchal.
The service in the bars was very good the staff attentive and efficient. €5 for a large whiskey, 7 for a cocktail and 3.50 for a small beer didn’t seem too bad.
The pool area was good, clean and spacious with ample sun beds overlooking the harbour with more beds scattered around the gardens.
All in all we had a very pleasant stay, it is ideally situated with some excellent views and only a short walk to the centre of Funchal (up hill back). All the staff were extremely pleasant and polite and could not do enough for us. If we retuned to Madeira we would stay here again. A number of things like the balcony and dining room furniture do need changing. I would say this is a good 4 star not a five star hotel.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank NortonCB
Reviewed May 3, 2011

I recently stayed at this hotel with my husband and two small children. It was a fantastic stay. We travel quite a lot but it's the first time I have taken time to write a review. We were on a half board basis which I normally stay away from as I like to get out and about and sample the local cusine. However we quickly discovered that the food was really great. The breakfast provided lots of choice with plenty of fresh produce, for some reason its very often a meal that hotels get wrong, not in this case (must say the ice bucket of complimentary bubbly was an unexpected treat). The evening meals were also fantastic. The staff were very helpful, I needed my baby's bottles sterlised daily which they were happy to do. The comfort and cleanliness of the the rooms were first class, the beds were really comfy with proper pillows and very comfortable duvets. The location is also great, just about an 8 min walk into the city with breathtaking scenery along the way. Really cannot recommend it highly enough.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family