Madeira Seekers - Day Tours
Book In Advance
Tours from Madeira Seekers - Day Tours tend to sell out - travelers recommend booking in advance!
Why Book on TripAdvisor?
  • Tour highlights & full itinerary
  • Easy online booking
  • Lowest price guaranteed
More Information

All reviews levada walks beautiful island south west tour private tour day trip great tour nun's valley stops guide madeira pargo roads mj pico mar plants
Selected filters
Reviewed October 25, 2018

We were due to do the tour on a Sunday but it was rescheduled for the next day which was no problems for us as we hadn't arranged anything for that day in Madeira. The tour was with mountain expeditions and our tour guide (think it was Dave) was very entertaining and professional. We had an entertaining very steep drive up from the coast on narrow roads and into the forest and quite rough and interesting roads, went to a nice overlook at Ribeira da Janela, crossed the Paul da Serra, had a nice lunch, saw the lighthouse at the most westerly point and stopped at some lovely little towns on the South-West coast such as Paul do Mar. It was a nice way to see a part of Madeira that is slightly more off the beaten path.

Date of experience: October 2018
Reviewed October 15, 2018

On recommendation in TA forum booked their airport-Funchal cab (23 euro), as on our arrival time the Aerobus did not fit.
Communication for the pickup (form and e-mail) okay, with some small miscommunications as their English is not great. And as due to hurricane our flight was changed twice within 24 hours I mailed them updates and both they confirmed.

Sadly however upon arrival at FNC no one was waiting for us, and both of their phonenumbers (Sunday around 1830) went on voicemail. E-mailed them day after (and also canceller a day trip booking I made with them), no explanation about this lapse in service given.

Date of experience: October 2018
1  Thank ErikandSandya
Reviewed August 6, 2018

We booked an East End tour w a side trip to Nun's Valley overlook for our family of 6. We requested something a bit out of the ordinary but were quickly provided information that made our choice simple. We were picked up at our hotel on time and had a superb day seeing 1/2 of the island. Quite a few stops, lots of choice info, some good food and drink, and an excellent driver. We would wholeheartedly recommend them and would certainly utilize their services for ourselves should we return (likely).

Date of experience: July 2018
Reviewed July 22, 2018

We booked a private Pico do Ariero Lavada walk for two with Madeira Seekers. Our guide Jess, and our driver John were fantastic. We were picked up at our hotel and traveled in a comfortable mini bus. Jess was very knowledgeable about the island went the extra mile pointing out plants and birds. With the flexibility of a private tour we had plenty of time to take pictures and take in this beautiful island. This was a great tour and once in a life time experience. They were the best part of our time in Madeira and we would call on them again for another hike.

Date of experience: June 2018
Reviewed July 21, 2018 via mobile

I booked three levadas walks (Marocos, Referta and Ponta do Pargo) with Madeira Seekers before I travelled and got a "bundle" price which saved a few quid. I had used them a few years ago, and wasn't disappointed then, so thought I would stick with them.

I paid for all three walks at the start of my first walk.

I noticed that Madeira Seekers seems to have a partnership with MJ Tours. They both offer discounted packages, so it might be worth comparing them before deciding anything.

That being said, I was still very pleased with my choice of Madeira Seekers. They rang me the evening before my first walk, Ponta do Pargo Walk, to explain that it was cancelled due to lack of numbers, but told me what else was on offer, so I could choose an alternative. I chose Queimadas. Aside from that, all walks went smoothly, from being picked up at the hotel by the guide, to enjoyable and informative walks which varied from 7km to 18km, or a couple of hours to a full day.

However, there were two other things I noticed about levada walks in general.

Firstly, both of these operators seem to offer more walks than the street vendors. I could be wrong, but it might explain why some walks are over populated while others don't appear to be so crowded. If you don't want over-crowded walks then find out which to avoid, e.g. Rabacal and the 25 Fountains might be one of them.

Secondly, the levada walk descriptions aren't always accurate; online or on the street. My Marocos Walk was advertised as 'easy', but goes off the levadas into the mountains with some steepish ascents, and a sizeable amount of the walk along the cliff edge, but it had some spectacular views as a result of this. Similarly, a fellow walker on the Queimadas walk was told it was half the length it really was when buying it on the street.

Date of experience: July 2018