“Amazing!”

Quinta do Boa Vista
Ranked #48 of 158 things to do in Funchal
Reviewed November 16, 2012

We'd read the recent reviews so we didn't expect everything to be in bloom (well it is November!) but there were many more blooms to see (and smell) than we expected. The benefit of going out of season is that it's lovely and quiet, so you can take your time admiring something without blocking anyone else's way, and there's still plenty to see. The layout is such that you don't have to walk up and down rows of plants that aren't in flower (unless you choose to) but are directed to those in bloom.

We had an enchanting time here and were so glad we visited - it was a perfect way to spend an afternoon.

The only suggestion that we would make would be to make the sign on the gateway easier to see - the "Private" signs are much more eyecatching than the Quinta do Boa Vista sign and initially detered us. On steep Madeiran hills you don't want to be retracing your steps, especially when you were in the right place in the first place! (This is on the gateway you reach when following the brown sign up from Rua Conde Carvahal).

There are mosquitos there, so if you're prone to getting bitten it might be worth wearing some insect repellent, although my husband I didn't have any on and we were fine.

2  Thank Jennifer S

Reviewed November 2, 2012

Well worth the visit even though few orchids were flowering at this time as Patrick was so helpful and informative. Had tea and lovely cake on the terrace overlooking Funchal. Purchased an orchid with advice from Patrick and we hope this will be a lasting reminder of our visit to Madeira. Thanks also for the beautiful strelitzia.

2  Thank Tony P
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Do choose your time of year to visit. However we visited last week and it was stunning, for the setting if nothing else. The orchids, and other plants, that were in flower etc were amazing. I have never seen anything like then before and I was completely unaware until now that some orchids were scented. We were fortunate as it was very quiet, therefore we ended up with an almost personal tour by one of the chap's there and it was fascinating and extremely informative not only on the orchids but the other plants there as well. I was also interested in a particular orchid that a forebear of mine had developed and not only did they have the orchid but when I was chatting to the owner afterwards she said that her father had visited my great-great grandfather numerous times and had been given this particular variety by my forebear; It was just so amazing, I had a sense of history and the past almost reaching me (very melodramatic I know). Do wear long sleeves and trousers though if mozzies like you, as mozzies like me and I was eaten alive there; my husband was completely unscathed with not a bite.....most annoying.

2  Thank brianwright159
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Do pick the time of year you go as a lot were not in flower. The Jade Vine was though and it is worth the visit. Lovely views.

1  Thank coralhorton
Reviewed June 17, 2012

Absolutlely wonderful!
Not only have the Garton's the most wonderful and vast orchid garden, should be visited. We had a wonderful holiday there. Advertised is the RHS Magazine, is a cottage within the gardens, with it's own private garden. We had a week there and have booked to go back next year. The cottage is very reasonably priced, very well equipped (even down to Sat. T.V. including U.K) and comfortable. Patrick and his mother, the estate housekeeper Serena are extremely hospitable and accommodating, and arrange transfers, taxis etc with known reliable people. Not for families and for night life, but quiet, for 'chilling-out' couples who enjoy good accommodation and good scenery. Taxis to town and No. 32 bus back recommended, but well worth the few euros or so. Relatively undiscovered, this is a GEM!

4  Thank Qualityshare