We stayed for a week in early September and found the Quinta peaceful and mentally therapeutic.
Took other reviewers advice and booked garden rooms with small patios and loungers, which was helpful. There isn't complete privacy in these areas, but I could see what reviewers meant, as the more luxurious rooms are nicer inside but are a bit restricted view wise, and just have seats in their balconies.
The garden rooms are quite old fashioned and could do with kettles and complimentary mineral water, but I thought they were quite retro and liked the atmosphere. All guests at the hotel seem to conform to the peaceful and calm vibe, which is great if that's your ideal. A majority were French when we stayed and were a polite and reserved group.
We never ate at the restaurant and heard from other guests that it was very good but didn't vary enough throughout the week. Breakfast was very pleasant and the views to the sensational gardens were fantastic.
Staff throughout were excellent and unfailingly helpful. The views from the bar at night were sensational though the bar is quite expensive and a bit slow.
The Quinta has a position quite near town, and is downhill all the way. Taxi's are cheap and absolutely plentiful, so don't bother struggling back vertically!
The old town is by far the nicest place to eat with massive choice. The Fortaleza is sensational and you can hire a vintage car to pick you up for 15 Euros. Recommended highly.
There is a lot of work going on in the centre of town to alleviate the effects of the massive flooding that took place in 2011. There is also a new harbour being built.
Overall, Madeira is beautiful and Funchal is chic and interesting, and certainly doesn't conform to the myth that it's an older persons place.
The Quinta is one of the nicest and certainly the most peaceful and calming place I've ever stayed in.
Would go back anytime, and unconditionally recommended.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Member of the "Small Luxury Hotels of the World", nestled amidst lush sub-tropical gardens near the center of Funchal and away from the bustle of the city, at Quinta da Casa Branca estate, there is a modern design boutique Hotel featuring 41 Rooms and 2 Suites, and positioned at the lower level of the property there are two buildings set apart, an elegant and luxurious Manor House with 5 luxury Manor House Suites. Close by, next to the swimming-pool, lies a Villa dating from the early XIX century. Providing a glamorous retreat, yet offering a personal and meaningful experience to every guest, the integration of the family's house and grounds with Quinta da Casa Branca boutique Hotel in November 2015, enables the preservation of a unique property on the island of Madeira whilst showcasing a remarkable heritage and providing the unique addition of the exuberant gardens, home to an abundance of various tropical trees and a banana plantation spanning a total of 28,000m2. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Orbitz, Fastbooking, Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cancelon, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Quinta da Casa Branca reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Quinta Da Casa Branca Hotel Funchal
- Quinta Da Casa Branca Funchal
- Quinta Da Casa Branca Madeira/Funchal