My wife and I spent two weeks on a bed and breakfast basis at the Quinta da Casa Branca in August. It is a small quiet unpretentious hotel set in beautiful well-maintained gardens and hidden from passing traffic that fully deserves its five star rating. It is definitely not a brash hotel that gets stars for tacky entertainment. All the staff are friendly and helpful.
The hotel is in the so-called hotel zone, about half an hour's walk from the centre of Funchal. There is a bus stop right outside the hotel.
Our basic room on the ground floor was spacious, with everything you would expect from five star accommodation. The bathroom had plenty of toiletries, bathrobes and towels, and there were plenty of towels to use at the pool. The room had a small private "terrace" with direct access to the gardens.
The buffet breakfast at the Garden Pavilion was excellent, and it is possible to eat breakfast on a terrace outside. We had one superb evening meal in the main restaurant.
Facilities include a well-stocked library (especially for British and German guests) with complimentary internet connection for those holiday-makers who do not have all-singing, all-dancing smartphones, a cocktail bar next to reception, a small gym, a spa/health club and a heated outdoor swimming pool.
Any faults? If you want to nit-pick - the pool area can become crowded at times (but just go back to your own terrace and relax and try again later), and one or two places need a lick of paint.
There are many good restaurants nearby, including O Dragoeira (where a wonderful old gentleman invites you in!), Sebastian come Tudo, and the excellent Olives. If you want a day trip we would recommend Lido Tours.
A perfect hotel for a truly relaxing holiday.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Member of the "Small Luxury Hotels of the World", nestled amidst lush sub-tropical gardens near the center of Funchal and away from the bustle of the city, at Quinta da Casa Branca estate, there is a modern design boutique Hotel featuring 41 Rooms and 2 Suites, and positioned at the lower level of the property there are two buildings set apart, an elegant and luxurious Manor House with 5 luxury Manor House Suites. Close by, next to the swimming-pool, lies a Villa dating from the early XIX century. Providing a glamorous retreat, yet offering a personal and meaningful experience to every guest, the integration of the family's house and grounds with Quinta da Casa Branca boutique Hotel in November 2015, enables the preservation of a unique property on the island of Madeira whilst showcasing a remarkable heritage and providing the unique addition of the exuberant gardens, home to an abundance of various tropical trees and a banana plantation spanning a total of 28,000m2. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Fastbooking, Priceline, Cancelon, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Quinta da Casa Branca reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Quinta Da Casa Branca Hotel Funchal
- Quinta Da Casa Branca Funchal
- Quinta Da Casa Branca Madeira/Funchal