The Quinta da Casa Branca is a classically understated piece of luxury in the hustle and bustle of west Funchal. It has a most unusual room layout for a city hotel, the single storey garden rooms being in a row with direct access to the gardens, whilst the upgrade rooms are in two storeys at right angles to the garden rooms, the lower floor rooms having access to the gardens from a shuttered balcony.
The gardens, and they are vast, are very well tended and most of the trees and plants are labelled. The swimming pool is set in the midst of the gardens, and it has toilets and changing rooms.
The staff are truly a credit to the hotel. They are professional, but very warm hearted and friendly (as, we found, were most Madeirans).
The food served at breakfast was of a very high standard, they have an 'a la carte' menu to order from for bacon, eggs etc, cooked exactly how you require. The coffee is spot on, but if you like your tea, shall we say, muscular, then you have to ask for at least 2 tea bags in the pot!!
The hotel is situated a (sedate) 20 minute walk from Funchal centre and the harbour, most of it downhill. And it's a 5 minute taxi ride back! However, if you turn left out of the hotel and go down to the main road (Estrada Monumental) you will find lots of restaurants and 'pubs' where a meal for two can cost anything from €10 to €100. Take your pick.
A word about the rooms. The standard garden rooms don't have tea and coffee making facilities but they do have sunloungers, whereas the upgrade rooms do have tea and coffee facilities but no loungers. It all depends what's important to you! The garden rooms also get the sun from early morning up until about 5pm. The other rooms get the sun from about 11 until sunset.
All in all a lovely, peaceful hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Member of the "Small Luxury Hotels of the World", nestled amidst lush sub-tropical gardens near the center of Funchal and away from the bustle of the city, at Quinta da Casa Branca estate, there is a modern design boutique Hotel featuring 41 Rooms and 2 Suites, and positioned at the lower level of the property there are two buildings set apart from the modern design boutique Hotel, an elegant and luxurious Manor House housing 5 luxury Manor House Suites. Close by, next to the swimming-pool, lies a Villa dating from the early XIX century. Providing a glamorous retreat, yet offering a personal and meaningful experience to every guest, the integration of the family's house and grounds with Quinta da Casa Branca boutique Hotel in November 2015, enables the preservation of a unique property on the island of Madeira whilst showcasing a remarkable heritage and providing the unique addition of the exuberant gardens, home to an abundance of various tropical trees and a banana plantation spanning a total of 27,000m2. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Priceline, Odigeo, Agoda, Travelocity, HotelTravel.com and Fastbooking so you can book your Quinta da Casa Branca reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Quinta Da Casa Branca Hotel Funchal
- Quinta Da Casa Branca Funchal
- Quinta Da Casa Branca Madeira/Funchal