My wife and I have just returned from 2-week's all-inclusive at this hotel. We had a really lovely stay, indeed it is difficult to find anything to criticise. The hotel is about 15 mins drive outside Funchal, but the hotel provides a free, hourly, courtesy bus service to the centre. For those who prefer a stroll, there is a beach/promenade walk into the nearby fishing village (45 mins) and, now the cliff tunnel has re-opened, a 1 hour promenade walk into Funchal. The hotel is at the end of a beach road, at the foot of a cliff, so gets no traffic noise and is very quiet and reasonably secure.
Every room in the hotel faces the sea. We were lucky to get a 6th floor room which, due to the design of the hotel, rooms on this floor have a totally enclosed and private balcony with an uninterrupted sea view. The room is a good 4-star standard, a nice size, comfortable beds, plenty of wardrobe and drawer space and with the bonus of a fridge. Good size bathroom with very effective shower, a hair dryer and, unusually, soap, shampoo and shower gel (replaced when needed). Also towels are provided for the sun beds. When really hot, air conditioning would have been nice but we slept with the balcony doors open, to the soothing sound of the sea!
Food was excellent, provided over two "sittings", though these weren't enforced. You declare whether you wanted early or late sitting on arrival. As a result meal times covered a wide time span. You could get something hot to eat at pretty much any time of the day.
Breakfast offered a good fried option with freshly fried eggs and really tasty small sausages, also proper baked beans, as well as the usual continental stuff. For lunch and evening meal, after a cold buffet starter, there was always local fish and meat options for main course, with also usually a chef carving meat off the bone. Desserts tended to be various types of cake, blancmange and ice cream, but still very nice. You will definitely not go hungry!
The drink side of all-inclusive is equally as good, operating from 1100-2300. The beer is local Coral lager (not bad at all) and wine (red and white) and sangria is provided in jugs to help yourself. A good selection of spirits is also available.
The pool is spotlessly clean and there's plenty of sun beds available. Very little shade so hiring an umbrella for a mere 2 euros for the day is a good idea.
Staff are really friendly and helpful, and work extremely hard to make your stay pleasant. We had a bulb go in a reading lamp and it was replaced immediately.
Public rooms are comfortable but also lack air conditioning. The dining room and outside area have views out over the beach and sea, and towards the imposing cliffs that tower above the fishing village. Ever changing atmospheric conditions around the cliff make this a romantic place to eat. Free internet access is available for keeping in touch with home.
The entertainment was probably the weakest part of the hotel package with two evenings of people selling you photos of you with snakes, lizards and parrots. Also 3 evenings of various keyboard/singers and one night of traditional Madeiran folk dancing. Wednesday night karaoke with "Sunfly" was probably the best night.
To sum up, this is a very nice hotel for couples of all ages, which provides a really good all-inclusive experience at a reasonable price. We would not hesitate to go back there.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Pestana Ocean Bay All Inclusive is an All Inclusive hotel (breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks and domestic beverages) located in Funchal, Madeira. It is located 1 minute on foot from Formosa beach with panoramic views of the Câmara de Lobos hillside. It offers an outdoor swimming pool with a jacuzzi, a Health Club with sauna, Turkish bath, gym and game room and a playground. For dining, we offer one restaurant and 2 bars. Take advantage of our free transfers to the centre of Funchal. All rooms face the sea and each has a balcony and Wi-Fi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with PESTANA MANAGEMENT - Servicos de Gestao S.A., Hotels.com, TravelUp, Booking.com, Priceline, World Independent Hotel Promotion, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, Agoda and Evoline ltd so you can book your Pestana Ocean Bay All Inclusive reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pestana Bay Ocean Aparthotel Hotel Funchal
- Pestana Bay Ocean Aparthotel Funchal
- Pestana Bay Hotel Madeira
- Pestana Ocean Bay All Inclusive Madeira/Funchal