To start off on a good note the hotel itself was very clean, well laid out (dining room and bar area overlooking the seafront) with friendly and attentive staff. The location was excellent, right on the seafront, with great views from the veranda overlooking the beach.
The rooms are excellent, and even have their own catering facilities!
Food was clean and plentiful, albeit using the same stuff pretty much every night (fish, pork, beef) with a few bells and whistles on to disguise this fact. The fish is the highlight - all of the seafood was very good. Breakfast was ok - lots of fresh fruit and good yogurt, but the cereal was mainly the cheap sugar-laden kiddies varieties, and the eggs and bacon were swimming in cheap fat. No decent tea or coffee (more on this later), which is tantamount to sacrelige for me at breakfast.
Nearby Funchal and Lobos were beautiful and well worth it, and the island has some fantastic Levadas walks to go on.
- A number of key amenities that were listed as being available were not, such as the "private" beach front (currently sealed off), and the jaccuzi (maintenance work being done on it).
- Some of the facilities had odd and impractical opening hours - i.e. the gym and spa dont opening until 9am and then close at 6pm, which is pretty useless if you are going on a day trip and wanted to use these facilities either before you go or after you get back.
- No drinking water facilities in the gym or spa area (where the sauna / steam room were).
- All tea and coffee had to be gotten from vending machines in the dining area. These frequently got clogged up and contaminated (water looked murky on a frequent basis), producing some fairly nasty tea and coffee.
- Noise issues; - arnound the pool there was hammering going on for a number of hours due to work being done on the jacuzzi which made chilling out round the pool a bit difficult.
Also, a few nights in i asked to be moved to another room due to a noisy neighbour, and i was moved to a room on the 1st floor with no occupancies either side. Sounded great. What they didnt tell me was they had moved me into a room with maintenance work going on directly above me! For the rest of my visit i had to put up with hammering and banging in the room above me (again, more maintenance work being done) from 8am, through the whole day at intermittent intervals. This made relaxing in my room very difficult.
In addition to this, because the room overlooked the courtyard I had the din of HGVs and tour coaches pulling up and unloading from about 8.30am, followed by a bloke using a pick axe and a power drill shortly after in the courtyard (again, maintenance work). The hotel had only been opened a few months ago, so why did they not get all of this maintenance work done before opening ?!? In the late evening there was more of the same, albeit not to quite the same extent
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Hotels.com so you can book your Pestana Ocean Bay Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pestana Bay Ocean Aparthotel Hotel Funchal
- Pestana Bay Ocean Aparthotel Funchal
- Pestana Bay Hotel Madeira
- Pestana Ocean Bay Hotel Madeira/Funchal