We holidayed here in late October for the first time as timeshare (points) guests, so did not know what to expect! Our outward journey was somewhat worrying - a delay for medical treatment as someone fell up the aircraft stairs, then someone else fell off the bus at the terminal followed by some aggression at the baggage carousel......all this topped off with rain! However, once we left the airport things improved.... a bus to our hotel for 16 euros return for both off us - stop 13 - was a real find....Aerobus, right outside the door. I'll keep focussing on the positive....the room was very clean and spacious although a bit "chintzy" for my taste. The view of the sea and cliffs was fantastic ( I think all rooms have a view). "Happy hour" (2 hours) in the beautiful main building was lovely, very smart pre dinner drinks - great cocktails!! Funchal was only a short walk away, all downhill, and was very pretty . The cable car and the basket ride were good value and an experience!! The local restaurants were worthwhile too - the steak house opposite and the Italian were both busy and we did not really go too much further as we felt, for a week, they were all we needed. We did eat in the resort too as they offer a special on Monday and Friday, and for the money - 20 euros- was great value & quality. Below the steak house is a good sized supermarket which we used daily. Although we did not use them, the buses were a bargain at 1 euro per journey, however far. You do need to buy your pre loaded cards for this though. Another big plus is that we were not pursued by a sales team at all...thank you!
On the negative side - there are few - Reception upon arrival was stressed and grumpy which did not create a great impression. Staff were generally great, bar a few. The bar staff were great and our cleaner was most accommodating and spoke good English. Our bed was made daily...even though I thought I had done it! ...and our towels changed daily. They were not great quality but were a good size. The bed was large, but as 2 singles made up and pushed together, was disappointing and difficult to sleep in. The pool bar was expensive but had a captive audience and one last moan, as a "youngster" in the resort was, boy could the neighbours keep you up!!!! Bring it on!!! Recommend the Palms to one and all though - beautiful location!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Pestana Palms is a 4-star hotel in Funchal, located along the coast of the Atlantic Ocean, with direct beach access. Built along the seafront, the Pestana Palms is located in Funchal's hotel zone, 20 minutes on foot from the city centre. Its splendid and original architecture combining modern and traditional styles ensure all of the hotel's rooms have incredible views of the sea. In the modern building, you will find the guest rooms and the restaurant. In the traditional building, an old Manor House surrounded by gardens, you will find the common areas. This hotel offers an outdoor swimming pool with views of Funchal's cliffs. Reserve some time for your mind and body at the Health Club equipped with a jacuzzi and a massage room. Take the opportunity to learn to dive at the hotel's Dive School and visit Madeira's Underwater Reserve. Madeira International Airport is located 23 km away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with World Independent Hotel Promotion, Expedia, Hotels.com, PESTANA MANAGEMENT - Servicos de Gestao S.A., Travelocity, Agoda, Orbitz, Priceline, Booking.com, Cancelon, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Pestana Palms reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pestana Palms Ocean Aparthotel Hotel Funchal
- Pestana Palms Ocean Aparthotel Funchal
- Pestana Palms Madeira/Funchal