Stayed here for one week in July with my Mum. We'd been pre-warned of the extensive coastal defense work that was taking place in Funchal, so specifically chose this hotel as it was slightly further out from the town. This was a good decision there was no work at all along the stretch of coast by the hotel, and when we walked in to Funchal itself (between 20 to 30 minutes walk, but also accessible easily with frequent buses) we saw so many hotel views which were spoiled by the defense work.
The hotel is in a beautiful location - overlooking the sea with direct access from the pool in to the sea itself.
We stayed in what we assumed would be a standard twin room, but were really pleased to find a spacious twin apartment style room. There was a small hob with cooking utensils, microwave, fridge and pots and pants, a dining room table with chairs, sofa and two arm chairs with a TV (with English channels including BBC 1 and ITV) and balcony overlooking the pool and sea.
The decor was a bit dated, but completely suited our needs - and was very clean and tidy. No air conditioning, but the ceiling fans were more than adequate.
There is WIFI available but we weren't told about it and only found out on the last day. You can request the daily password from the hotel reception to use it.
Breakfast was served on the 5th floor where there is plenty of room to eat outside overlooking the sea which we did each morning. Huge selection of hot and cold food for breakfast and rotating things in the cooked breakfast so it wasn't the same every single day.
We made use of the pool bar and were overwhelmed by the friendliness of the staff (Helena in particular) who went out of their way to ensure we had everything we needed.
We had only paid for B&B but there were plenty of restaurants within walking distance and a supermarket directly across the road.
The hotel is at the bottom of a VERY steep hill which was a pain to walk up and down every single day, but the whole island is full of hills so was had expected it.
The only negative was that the hotel were unable to offer us a late check out (normally midday) to enable us to use the pool and then shower on our last day as our flight was in the evening - however they were very apologetic and did explain it was due to the hotel being fully booked. They did, however, offer to hold our luggage for us until we were ready to go to the airport.
No need to bring beach towels - the hotel provide you with towels to use for the pool and change them - we didn't see this noted anywhere and would have taken a chunk off of luggage weight for us had we known!
Thoroughly impressed with the hotel and would recommend it to others!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Pestana Palms is a 4-star hotel in Funchal, located along the coast of the Atlantic Ocean, with direct beach access. Built along the seafront, the Pestana Palms is located in Funchal's hotel zone, 20 minutes on foot from the city centre. Its splendid and original architecture combining modern and traditional styles ensure all of the hotel's rooms have incredible views of the sea. In the modern building, you will find the guest rooms and the restaurant. In the traditional building, an old Manor House surrounded by gardens, you will find the common areas. This hotel offers an outdoor swimming pool with views of Funchal's cliffs. Reserve some time for your mind and body at the Health Club equipped with a jacuzzi and a massage room. Take the opportunity to learn to dive at the hotel's Dive School and visit Madeira's Underwater Reserve. Madeira International Airport is located 23 km away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, PESTANA MANAGEMENT - Servicos de Gestao S.A., Orbitz, World Independent Hotel Promotion, Hotwire, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Pestana Palms reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pestana Palms Ocean Aparthotel Hotel Funchal
- Pestana Palms Ocean Aparthotel Funchal
- Pestana Palms Madeira/Funchal