“Can't praise this hotel enough!”

Suite Hotel Eden Mar
Ranked #8 of 88 Hotels in Funchal
Reviewed August 11, 2010

Our 2 week stay with our 3 teenagers was fabulous without a doubt. The hotel staff are incredibly helpful and friendly. The hotel is kept beautifully clean, the many pools and well stocked gardens are well maintained and the breakfasts were plentiful with a very good choice. Add this together with a prime seafront location and beautiful weather and you really can't go wrong. There are lots of restaurants nearby and a couple of Pingo Doce supermarkets within an easy walk. Funchal centre is about 20 mins away on foot.
We had a slight problem with the plumbing in our room and it was fixed immediately and then checked the next day. I needed to see a doctor during our stay and the hotel receptionist booked my appointment and gave me detailed directions and even asked how I got on when I returned.
We shall certainly go back to this hotel or its sister Porto Mare.
So all good but we have two grumbles that are not confined to this hotel but to hotels in general;
1) A small minority of guests were up early reserving sunbeds for themselves and their friends.
This hotel makes it clear that guests must not reserve sunbeds. They are aware of the problem and have notices stating their policy and declaring that the hotel staff may remove towels from reserved sunloungers. They did not put this into practise whilst we were there but we think they should make a stand.
2) As non-smokers who prefer to eat outdoors we didn't appreciate tables of chain smokers blowing their smoke over our breakfast each morning. We know that we could have gone inside but why should we? Where food is concerned, we feel smokers should not be allowed to light up and spoil other guests' enjoyment. Moan over!!!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Bestroo
antoniopais, General Manager at Suite Hotel Eden Mar, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2010

Dear Sirs

Thank you for the post on tripadvisor about your holiday experience. We are glad that you have enjoyed it and that you are already thinking about coming back.

We have taken good note of your comments about the "sunbeds reservation " and "non smoking areas" and we will pay attention to it.

With best regards

Reviewed August 7, 2010

This Hotel is said to be four star, in reality it is 4 star plus plus.

Spent a week in July 2010, Perfect weather, not too hot but nice. Hotel exceeded all our expectations. Huge rooms, large bathroom with separate loo. Huge bed. large balcony.
Food exceptional, choice of four resturants. service excellent. Cleanliness excellent.
Pleasant proffesional staff who smile! Drinks a trifle pricey, but supermarket just round the corner.
Free internet.
Words cannot fully express my satisfaction with this fine establishment!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bawoch
antoniopais, General Manager at Suite Hotel Eden Mar, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2010

Dear Sir,

We are very happy to know thay you have enjoyed yourself during your holidays at Eden Mar Hotel.
I also take the opportunity to thank you for the very positive comments posted on Tripadvisor and hope to have you with us in a near future.

Best regards,

Reviewed July 16, 2010

This was our first visit to Madeira and obvioulsy our first stay at the Eden Mar Suite Hotel. We arrived an hour late, courtesy of French Air Traffic Control. Nevertheless the taxi which we had booked beforehand through Funchal Taxis was there waiting for us following our very speedy and efficient transfer through the airport. The journey to the hotel took about 20 minutes. The Eden Mar, together with many of the more modern hotels was to the west of Funchal centre and the Reid's Palace Hotel. We had booked a sea facing studio room. In the event I think we were allocated a side sea view. Not really worth making a fuss about, particularly as we had arrived late and were in a bit of a rush to catch dinner. If we were to return (see below), I would ask in advance for a south west side sea facing room simply to get the afternoon sun on the balcony. Our room had all we needed – (large) twin beds pushed together, oldish but clean bathroom and a separate WC. There was a kitchenette area which contained all necessary items – microwave, fridge, glasses, cutlery etc. The room also had a reasonable sized balcony with a table and couple of chairs. I was glad that we were not on the ground floor as the balcony their opens onto the public areas. Given the shape of the building, most balconies are overlooked to one degree or another. Overall the accommodation was fine, but no full length mirror!!! The safe was €10 a week. There are 4 restaurants available – il Basilico, a Mediterranean Style, a Portuguese style and the buffet restaurant. If you are on half board you get a €17 allowance against meals in other than the buffet restaurant which is probably enough for the main course. The buffet restaurant is however excellent, and we ate there 6 of the 7 nights of our stay. The buffet restaurant also does a very passable house wine at €10 a litre. Bar prices were typical of hotel prices €3 a glass of wine €4 a half litre of beer – although there is a 2 for 1 happy hour.

Staying at the Eden Mar you have full access to the pool area at the Porto Mare which was nicer than the Eden Mar area. It was always quite busy although when we stayed it was usually possible to get a lounger (pool towels provided in the room)

There is a very good supermarket within 5 mins of the hotel where you can get most things.

Funchal is about 25 minutes walk from the hotel and the big disappointment for us was that it was not along a seaside promenade but along the main road. There is a much nicer sea-view walk to the west from the hotel.

Whilst we were there everyone we spoke to was very friendly and very helpful.

I don't think we will return to Madeira in the near future because of other places we want to see. But if you are looking for a relaxing break, sitting by the pool, with good quality and plenty of food, then the Eden Mar could be the place for you or maybe the Porto Mare if the price differential is not too much.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Two_Fogies
antoniopais, General Manager at Suite Hotel Eden Mar, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2010

Dear Sir,

Just to thank you for your comments on tripadviser about Eden Mar hotel.

I am glad to know that you have enjoyed the hotel facilities and our restaurant food as well.

With best regards,

Reviewed July 14, 2010

I wish I had known the truth before I went.Myself,my partner and my son aged 14 have just come back from a 2 week stay at the Eden Mar.We were greeted and treated pleasently at reception when we arrived.Myself and my partner had booked a junior suite for ourselves and to give us all some privacey a superior studio next door for my son.The rooms were both lovely,the studio was massive,they both had lovely sea views which is what I had asked for,the beds were very comfortable and the blackout curtains helped with long lies in.The only downside of the rooms was that the wardrobes seemed to be a lot older than the rest of the accomodation and the bottom of the dressing table drawer looked ready for the bucket.The gardens in the hotel are amasing and are a delight to see.The gym was excellent and indoor and outdoor pools are lovely.The maid service is superb and she was very polite.The breakfast had a great selection of fruit,breads and cakes.The cooked side could have been better,the table service was good. There are drains outside the entrance to the hotel perhaps about 100ft away and the constant smell of urine is enough to make your eyes water.On our first night we went to eat up the little hill and crossed the road at the left hand side zebra crossing.We paid 70 Euros for a terrible meal from a bad mannered waiter.The next night we walked further along towards the Cliff Bay hotel.We went into a restaurant up a side street advertising roast chicken and chips 12 Euros.When we sat down the waitress handed us an a-la carte menu,the first thing on the menu was 160Euros for a seafood platter for 2.There was nothing less than40Euros.I explained to her that this was too expensive and we did not want to pay these prices.She stormed off muttering to herself under her breath and returned with a set meal 18Euro menu and a set meal 12Euro menu adding "I think this is the one you want."We got up and left.We found a nice enough place to eat after that but on the second night I saw 3 dead cockroaches on the toilet floor.The night after that we tried Grannys further up a bit,the meal was alright but after she took our plates away she started clearing any crumbs off our table,which my partner found very embarasing.The night after that we tried the steak house which is above the supermarket at the back of the hotel.The prices are good,the food was very good but portions very small.My partner had to have 2 main courses to be full.The owner was very pleasant,the waitress very helpfull but there is a South African waiter who is very obnoxious.So after 2 nights there we tried Barracuda restaurant which is opposte the steak house, EURICKA!I cannot say enough good things about this restaurant.It is run by Dino,who sreves you and his wife Luisa who does the cooking.He is pleasant and polite, serves brilliant food at great prices and really looks after you.He does fantastic fish and chips on a Friday but do reserve a seat because a Friday is busy.It was a relief to have a good meal at last.We ate here every night until our last night which was a Sunday because Barracuda is closed on a Sunday.We decided to try the Irish bar along the road and thought we would have a drink first to see what we thought.The waiter had a terrible attitude and after drinking some of my drink I realised it had pink lipstick all around the top of the glass,I didn't have any on.I showed him this and he just said "oh yeh".I told him he had a very bad manner and perhaps if he was nicer to his customers he would get more tips,we left the bar and our drinks.We went back to the hotel to get something from the snack bar at the main pool.The chicken nuggets were so hard my son could not cut them,the chips were cold, the tomatoe in the salad was turning black and the little bowls of coleslaw looked like they had seen better days.When we had finished I told the waitress and I didn't even get an apology. The first time we went into Funchal we sat down at a cafe only for a drunk beggar to stand in front of us and constantly begg,yet again we had to leave.The indoor market has a group of local drunks congregating at the side at the front with their bottles and dogs.The waterfront area down from the hotel is lovely and has a lovely bar called Kasbah along with go-karts for children.We were very disapointed with our eating experiences and yes a lot of waiters,hotel staff were very nice but we found in the restaurants that there were a lot with very bad attitudes who just expect you to spend your money.If you love sunbathing,hill walking bad manners and rotten food then this is for you.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
8  Thank joely08
antoniopais, General Manager at Suite Hotel Eden Mar, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2010

Dear Sirs,

Thank you for the comments posted on tripadviser. I regret to know that you had some less positive experiences at local restauants. Like anywhere in the world there are good and less good restaurants & bars, I would advise you to ask at hotel receptions so they can give informations that might help you when looking for options to hotel restaurants.

In our case we have within the Vila Porto Mare complex, 4 different options for food. The usual buffet restaurant that serves a different thematic buffet, Il Basilico an Italian restaurant which is very popular for residents and tourists, The Med a Mediterranean restaurant with a very romantic terrace, and The Alfama, with flavours from Maderia & Portugal mainland.

Again thank you for you time and hope our tips are usefull for future visits to Madeira.

Best regards,

Reviewed July 14, 2010

My partner and I booked last minute and from the many choices of room available decided to select a junior suite accommodation. We were not disappointed, as the room and facilities were excellent. Our accommodation was located in the Residence quarters of the Porto Mare complex, which meant that we had a very large (5/6 rooms in all including kitchen and bedroom), quiet studio overlooking some gardens and the sea. The gardens within the complex are maintained to an incredibly high standard and we were impressed with the variety of exotic tropical trees and plants within the grounds.
I had a couple of spa treatments and although the reception personnel in the spa and at the front desk were not the warmest, the quality of treatments and careful organisation of tours compensated for any shortfall in friendliness. One word of caution, the hotel is large and to walk from the Residence to Hotel Eden Mar can take up to 10 minutes depending on how you navigate the lifts and stairways, so make sure you get transport to/from the most convenient hotel entrance when you have heavy bags to load! It's not something I normally say, but I would definitely return back to the Residence, especially as one week is definitely not long enough to experience all that this hotel and Madeira has to offer (next time for us will definitely be Santana and 25 Fontanes Llevada)!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank poppyfield

Dear Sirs,

Thank you for the positive comments posted on tripadviser about Vila Porto Mare. I will certainly share your thoughts about your stay with my team.

In the future plase take god note that each hotel within the Vila Porto Mare complex has its own reception.

Best regards

Reviewed July 12, 2010

After staying at the Porto Mare last year we saw a good rate for the Eden Mar this year so decided to book knowing that the complex shares all the faclities.The only negative to mention was that our room overlooked the car park and was above the Pingo Doce supermarket which meant out on the balcony could be noisy at times though we did have sea views.This didnt bother us but we live in the city and are used to noise and when the balcony doors were shut we hardly heared anything but may be an issue for some people.The up side is the room we were in was a junior suite when we had only paid for a normal room.We had a bedroom which could be seperated with a sliding door from the living area which had a kitchen area,and room for dining with table and chairs a real home from home.Flatscreen tellys in the bedroom and living area plenty of wardrobe space.Considering the price we paid this was all excellent value for money.The complex as a whole was kept scrupulously clean by the staff the gardens are gorgeous and the pools beautiful the main reasons for returning.Breakfast is excellent with many options and staff were quick to bring tea or coffee to the table.We also made a few enquiries to the reception staff who were always friendly and helpful.Would recommend Casa Italia to the east side of the Eden Mar for pasta and pizzas,good food at very reasonable prices as good as last year and a new restaurant nearby L'Osteria was also very good. Apart from breakfast didnt eat in the hotel or attend the entertainment which is aimed at a much older age group than us.All in all had another great holiday in Madeira much of the credit has to go to the staff and manager for maintaining the standards of this place.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sh00sh00Edinburgh
antoniopais, General Manager at Suite Hotel Eden Mar, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2010

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your comments about Eden Mar hotel. I am very plesead to know that you had another positive holiday experience and I will certainly share with my team the notes you left on tripadviser about their service.

With best regards,

Reviewed July 6, 2010

We read a lot of good reviews about this hotel, so expected it to be good and were not disappointed. To make things better we got an upgrade to a junior suite and although the room was comfortable and clean, it was close to needing refurbishing. Another niggle was that most entertainment was finished by 22:30. Those two minor things aside, the hotel is lovely with stunning grounds and lovely pools. We have always said we wouldn’t return to the same place again as it’s never the same the second time round. But we would make an exception for Funchal and the Eden Mar.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wootton_Resident

Dear Sir,

Just to say thank you for your support by posting your feedback on tripadviser.
We are glad that you have enjoyed your stay and that you consider us for future stays.

With best regards