“Everything you could wish”

Hotel The Cliff Bay
Ranked #4 of 88 Hotels in Funchal
Reviewed January 3, 2011

Stayed at the Cliff Bay for a week over the New Year, the biggest complement I can make is that I am a seasoned traveller, who never repeats a holiday. Well, with the Cliff Bay, that will now be broken and I look forward to returning in 2011. Staff and hotel are wonderful.

3  Thank curlew
JanRingertz, General Manager at Hotel The Cliff Bay, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2011

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your kind feedback. I am delighted to hear that we managed to correspond to your expectations. The Christmas and New Year period is a magical period in Madeira we many beautiful tradtions.
I very much look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back during 2011.

There are newer reviews for Hotel The Cliff Bay

Reviewed December 31, 2010

Just returned after a six day stay at this very special place.The location,the quality of food and accomodation were in my view all outstanding as too was the service from everyone who works there from the General Manmager down to the cleaners.Nothing was too much trouble and every day was a further delight.The Xmas Eve Gala Dinner was fantastic with great food and a constant flow of delectable wines.The weather was not that great but the poor weather kept us in the Hotel to enjoy more of the facilities and to further partake of the magnificent indoor/outdoor pool and the terrific spa.
There is not one single issue that I am critical of but I would have been most happy if an Ice Machine was available on the floor rather than have to ask via the reception.The reception staff,every single one of them,were most attentive and determined to provide satisfaction to all of our needs.My wife and I are global travellers and we agree that the reception performance was faultless and some of the girls absolutely beautiful.
We will return possibly in the summer but most definitely will return next year for Xmas and the New Year.
It was a most pleasent surprise to be issued with a Prestige Club card on departure that will secure some advantages on future visits.
A special mention is made of Jan Ringertz,General Manager,who would bend over backwards for us which helped to make our stay so very memorable.

2  Thank chigwell2007
JanRingertz, General Manager at Hotel The Cliff Bay, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2011

Thank you for your kind feedback here at Tripadvisor. I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your recent holiday with us. Christmas and New Year is a fantastic period with much symbolism as it is a festive holidays. Our hotel changes quite a lot due to Christmas decorations. Our two gala dinners are very special moments in the hotel. The Cliff Bay offers great facilities even if there would come a rainy or cloudy day. It is with pride that I represent o hotel like The Cliff Bay and manage a team of very dedicated hospitality workers that do their very best every day to offer service excellence from the heart.
Wishing you and tripadvisor users a Happy New Year and a fantastic year 2011 when I look forward to welcome you back again.

Reviewed December 11, 2010

We have stayed at The Cliff Bay Hotel on five separate occasions the last visit being December this year. Standards at this establishment in all departments are of the highest order and the managment are to be congratulated on maintaining these standards over the years.
The staff without exception are professional, cheerful and fun to be with. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone thinking of visiting Madeira.

2  Thank BarnacleScotland

Dear Sir or Madam,
Thank you very much for giving us the confidence of hosting your stay already on five occasions. Our heads of department and myself are all committed to offer service excellence and we do our very best to maintain standards at our very special hotel. Recently we were awarded best Thomson A la Carte Hotel – Overall winner as well as Best Thomas Cook Northern Europe – Overall winner. Our Il Gallo d’oro continue being recognized with a Michelin Star for 2011.
I very much look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Reviewed December 4, 2010

We stayed at the Cliff Bay late November / early December 2010. We had a sea view room, which was simply amazing (well worth upgrading!). We were on a B&B basis - the breakfast choice was huge and the service outstanding. We only ate in the rose Garden once in the evening, which was well worth it and highly recommended. Funchal is easily accessible by taxi (5 euros) or a 20 minute walk. Lovely scenery all around and extremely pleasant. It was my birthdsay whilst there and my partner conspired with the staff to surprise me - which was absolutely fabulous. They even corresponded withher prior to our arrival to ensure our trip went to plan. All in all a great hotel and a credit to the manager and his staff. The only slight downside was the weather, but we can't blame anyone for that, although the indoor pool / spa area provided a relaxing retreat from the elements.

2  Thank Bobbybob1
JanRingertz, General Manager at Hotel The Cliff Bay, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2010

Thank you for your kind feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am delighted to learn that we managed to correspond to your expectations. The Cliff Bay offer a wide range of facilities that can help on day with less sunshine. I am also pleased to hear how high you rate of staff
Hoping of the pleasure of welcoming you back in a near future.

Reviewed December 3, 2010

This holiday was to celebrate my 40th birthday and being used to lovely hotels around the world we were impressed with the reviews of Cliff Bay and booked 3 rooms with a side sea view for myself, husband, mother and father in law and our 7 yr old and 16 year old. Before arriving I pre booked some dinner arrangements and some spa treatments and found the staff so very helpful.

When we arrived I was initially impressed by check in etc and then sadly very disappointed with our room. It was at the end of the corridor on the corner, quite small, with lots of windows but all very high up and we couldn't actually see out. The balcony was nice but again you couldn't see over the brick wall. Oh well I thought, we did book side view but still, in a 5*star I felt this room really had no place. We had just returned from the 5* The Merchant in Belfast with the other side of the family and this room really failed in comparison. Anyway, then we saw the others' rooms and they were gorgeous. We found out that they had all been upgraded but not us (little odd as it was my birthday AND we had paid for most of the rooms). However, on talking to the reception my husband was quite happy to pay to upgrade us as the room was really depressing and they did it for free which was very lovely and kind! However, we still don't really get why these end rooms are allowed to exist in a 5* hotel. I think most good hotels would use them for something else or knock them into one big majestic suite (there are 2).

However, we loved our new room, and later we looked at room on the 6th floor and honestly, preferred the 2nd. The bed is huge and extremely comfortable. You have everything you need including a flat screen TV, DVD, CD, tea and coffee making facilities lots of clothes hangers. Huge comfortable balcony, private and not overlooked with a breath taking view. The bathroom is very well equipped and as well as a bath with a hand held shower, good size separate shower cubicle and a separate cubicle with the toilet and bidet. There are also two basins. We had nice toiletries and nice fluffy white towels and face cloths. White towelling robes and slippers were also provided.

Breakfast is great with lots of choice and one day we had breakfast outside just the 2 of us with the rest of the family eating later and it was so beautiful. Coffee and tea is served at your table and there is a selection of juices, water and even sparkling wine .

We ate in the Rose Garden 3 times I think and had very good food,especially for a hotel buffet and even better it really suited my vegetarian in laws. They couldn't do enough for us, especially my daughter,

We ate at Il Gallo D'oro one evening and we were so keen for it to be excellent as although we have eaten in Michelin star restaurants in England and Italy it was a first for my mother in law and the food certainly deserved its reputation. Unfortunately it was the only place in the entire hotel where the service was slow, we had to ask for drinks orders to be taken, never offered, and then it was very very slow. Only twice did someone leave the table to freshen up and they choose those two times to serve a course. Not very Michelin star! Bit disappointing.

The outside area is lovely, the pools are great and the views are so amazing. Again the staff were brilliant and we had a wonderful time enjoying the pools and tennis.

We enjoyed the evening entertainment along with a many nice cocktails in the bar or on the terrace in the evenings. We ate in the Cliff Bar many lunch times too and had afternoon tea on the last day. Paradise really.

However, it truly is the staff that make this hotel so special. Every member of staff had a smile for us and in the Cliff Bar the staff are wonderful. This is the same for reception, cleaning staff, the spa people etc. Lovely treatments in the Spa too, I had a facial and a manicure and the two men had back massages. Simply wonderful.

Being a little greedy I did read about cakes etc for birthdays but sadly none appeared for me (but then I did get that upgrade !). Reid's made up for it by surprising me with a cake after our dinner there.

We enjoyed all the facilities at the hotel and overall have to say that it is elegant, with excellent service and lovely lovely people.

Highly recommend!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank Jackie E

Thank you for your comment here at Tripadvisor. I am pleased to learn that you choose our hotel for your special celebration. The Cliff Bay have a number of side sea view rooms that has as a characteristic the wall as these rooms many times are located behind outgoing roofs. The rooms of the hotel are nice no whether which floor they are allocated and I am pleased to hear that some in your travel group got room upgrades. I have taken careful note of your food and beverage experience and we will do our very best to further improve our services. I am pleased that our restaurant Il Gallo d’oro continue as a select restaurant with a Michelin star also for 2011. We are all very proud of the staff working at The Cliff Bay that do their very best to offer excellent holiday experiences.
Hoping of the pleasure to welcome you back in a near future.

Reviewed December 1, 2010

Excellent stay at the Cliff Bay Hotel. Would agree with previous review that 36 Euros is a lot for the buffet. Afternoon tea very nice. Evening entertainment could be better as not alot to do in the evening. Room on 8th floor was lovely. Staff were excellent and very friendly. Breakfast was great with so much choice. Indoor/outdoor pool is lovely. Overall a very enjoyable stay

2  Thank juliehKent

Thank you for your feedback. I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. Take advantage of some of the many special offers that exist on food and beverage within our hotel. Hoping to be able to welcome you back in a near future.

Reviewed December 1, 2010

(Posting of review delayed due to computer problem)
As this holiday was a very special celebration for us we looked at many options before choosing The Cliff Bay (Trip Advisor was well used) and we could not have chosen better.
It was our best holiday ever due not to Madeira itself, beautiful and vibrant as it is, but to the accommodation, superb food, spaciousness and relaxing ambience of the public areas and, above all, the caring attention of the staff of The Cliff Bay. It is, in our opinion, truly a 5* hotel in all aspects.
The quality of the food must get special mention. We chose to go half board and ate mainly in the Rose Garden restaurant where the food is served buffet style with a truly amazing choice of beautifully presented and delicious food (different theme each night). We also had a truly memorable and very special dinner dance in the Il Gallio d’Oro Michelin star restaurant (treat yourself to at least one meal there).
Although, as said, all staff gave caring attention in a professional manner we would particularly mention Paulo Andracle who looked after us so well in the Rose Garden restaurant, always cheerful and smiling she enhanced our dining experience, and Diamantino Fernandes, Guest Relation and Spa Manager, who came to our aid on two particular occasions, and, it seemed to us, exemplified the ethos of the hotel and that management cared about ensuring each and every guest had an enjoyable stay.
It was so refreshing to stay at a hotel where the background music, of piano, light classical or smooth jazz, was not intrusive, the dress code norm in all public areas at all times was smart casual. The daily organised activities ranged from wine tasting or flower arranging to, for the more active, aqua aerobics, pilates or scuba diving tasters.
Most people we spoke to had been coming for many years so that also speaks volumes about the quality of the hotel.
We had a truly memorable stay and would hope to return.
Thank you The Cliff Bay.

2  Thank C_JF-M

Thank you for your feedback and for having chosen our hotel for your special celebration. We get very proud to participate in making your holidays the best ever. We are very honored of our staff and our food and beverage team. We just received the confirmation that Il Gallo d’oro is elected with a Michelin Star for 2011. Paula Andrade and many of our waiters do an excellent job in the rose garden restaurant. Diamantino Fernandes is very dedicated and professional in offering excellent guest service towards guests and the list of other staff members can be made long.
I hope of the pleasure of welcoming you back in a near future.