“Fantastic Hotel”

Ranked #4 of 85 Hotels in Funchal
Scotland
“Fantastic Hotel”
Reviewed May 19, 2014

We have just returned from our honeymoon at the Cliff Bay, this views from this hotel are stunning, the breakfast is sublime, our room was immaculate, we regularly used the pools which were in great condition. Used the spa facilities for facial and back massage both were the best I have received. Nice touch on arrival we were given a free bottle of wine. Staff were all very friendly and nothing was a problem to them.

Thank you Cliff Bay for making our honeymoon extra special

4 Thank Jacq5
JanRingertz, General Manager at Hotel The Cliff Bay, responded to this review, May 21, 2014
Thank you for your kind e-mail. I am delighted to hear that you had a special honeymoon stay with us. I am also pleased that our staff members corresponded to your expectations.
I hope that we get the pleasure of welcoming you back for the upcoming 1 year wedding celebration.

Jan E. Ringertz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,039)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed May 19, 2014

When we were looking for information about afternoon tea in Funchal, Madeira, it was hard to find concrete information. Most travelers go to Reid's Palace where afternoon tea is served at 33 Euros. A very good alternative at about half the price can be found at the Cliff Bay where tea is served from 3.30 PM to 5 PM every day. Tea is served either inside or outside in the lounge one floor down from the lobby. As the weather was very good when we went, we sat outside overlooking the sea from the peaceful terrace which is surrounded by beautiful gardens. When we first presented ourselves the waiter looked at his watch and realized it was 3.30 pm already and told us we could find a seat at any empty table. First they served a selection of four different sandwiches, then the sweets and scones followed on a three tier plate holder. The scones were lovely, light and not too heavy accompanied with jam and clotted cream. The selection of sweets was pleasant and enough for us to enjoy. The staff were friendly and hospitable although I did not appreciate the fact that the bill was presented at the beginning, instead of at the end. In general we enjoyed afternoon tea in the Cliff Bay very much and I would recommend it to any other travelers looking for a pleasant location for afternoon tea.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
JanRingertz, General Manager at Hotel The Cliff Bay, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Thank you for you feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed our afternoon tea. Many of our guests especially enjoy the gardens when relaxing in the afternoon.
Hoping to welcome you back to our hotel.

Marlow Bucks England
Reviewed May 18, 2014

Excellent 9 day stay in May. This is truly excellent hotel with excellent facilities and staff. The hotel is spotless from top to bottom. It is not cheap but worth it.
In answer to a previous comment, the hotel fly a Harris Hawk in the grounds for an hour in the morning to give a clear message to pigeons and seagulls to stay away. In the last few years these were becoming a real problem stealing food from tables. Now, not any to be seen. Brilliant job. And the Harris Hawk is a captive bred bird (called Sky) and although it maybe better in the wild its keeper is very empathetic and the bird is beautifully looked after. He would have to be transported a very long way to be in the wild in a place he would have a chance of survival.

3 Thank NeilofMarlow2
JanRingertz, General Manager at Hotel The Cliff Bay, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us this may. Thank you also for explaining about the Hawk. Your bird knowledge widely exceeds mine and I pleased that we are doing our sea gull limitation in a good way.
Hoping to see you soon in Madeira again.
Basel, Switzerland
Reviewed May 18, 2014 via mobile

The Hotel is beautifully located close to Funchal, above the impressive cliffs. From most rooms you will enjoy a wonderful view over the Atlantique and to the city of Funchal and its harbour. We had a suite in the 6th floor, which consistent of a spacious living room with seperate toilet, big master bedroom and very good size bathroom with bath tub and shower, double sink and separate toilet. The furniture is a bit dated, however still in good condition.
Daily room set up was ok as was the general cleanliness, with the exception of the water drain in the bath tub. We did not enjoy the daily turn down service, which took place about 6pm. When we returned from our late afternoon swim, the curtains were closed, bed side table lamps turned on and outside, still full sunshine, does not make a lot of sense.
We rate the room size 5 star and service from housekeeping between 3 and 4 star.
Breakfast at Gallo Restaurant was ok and we even found a perfect waiter, his name is Antonio. Professional, friendly and with a yes I can do attitude. Some mornings the service was extremely slow, they forgot the orders and when it arrives, egg dishes were already cold.
Location 5 stars, overall service 4 star.
Reception was a very busy place and some of the ladies and gentleman surely doing a very good job. Unfortunately we had several encounters with very poor service and an attitude "no I can`t do" which one would not excpect in a 5 star property.
The half inside/outside pool aera was nice, again a bit dated however clean and well maintained. The Fitness room is spacious, with fantastic view, windows not regularely cleaned and Equipment ok. The best experience was in the SPA, which with guess is outsourced to ESPA, which has Fantastic service, fabulous treatments and excellent products.
Many guests come through Touroperators and have most likely lower expectations than we do. We travel far over 150 days per year, staying most of the time in 5 star properties.
We did not find the soul of the Hotel, nor the passion in the people for service (with a few exeptions). No one was realy hosting the guests and we are not sure, if regular employee trainings are taking place.
The management of the Hotel aknowledged our experience and offered us a voucher at the Cliff Bay or one of their other, smaller properties, which we found a very generous gesture. If we return we will certainly choose the smaller property where individual service is more likely to happen.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Christine S
Thank you for your feedback. As I mentioned in our previous correspondence I am sad to hear that we didn’t manage to completely correspond to your expectations. We much appreciate all feedback as it helps us to further improve our services and facilities. I don’t believe personally that guests travelling with Tour operators are likely to have lower expectations but this comes merely in differences between people. We are very proud of all our staff that also include our spa, many of them has been with us for quite some years.
I still hope that you enjoyed Madeira and that our beautiful island might get a return visit.
Bergen, Norway
Reviewed May 11, 2014

Me and my partner went here for our first vacation together, and it was extravagant to say the least. If you want to be spoiled on lovely (and I really do mean LOVELY) breakfasts and views, surroundings, mornings, nights, then really, you should go here.
There is swimming oportunities in the pool upstairs at the hotel, this is heated and is partly outside. I recommend getting up early before breakfast and taking a swim in the sunrise here, its quite something. I felt like I had died and gone to heaven some mornings there. Theres also a bubblebath in this area. But that was out of order for big parts of our stay. One day the water was yellowish and then it was out of order..
Another pool is found down by the sea. This is very salty, and you float very easily. Eyes can get sore so use swimmingglasses. A smaller pool for the kids is also found here. There is also possible to swim in the sea, which is just across from the salt water pool. This is for people who dont get scared when fish swim around your feet or waves come splashing in (which I was). I was much happier standing on the pire looking down at the colourfull fishes swimming around... (some people brought bread to feed them with, that made them crazy, in a good way I guess)

Back to the breakfast... You really gotta be carefull with those croissaints. I know they are tasty, I know you want to make it worth the pay, but really, I gained alot of weight from two weeks of croissants, fruits, cheese....you name it. But maybe thats just a part of vacationing? It was a lame thing to come home to though ;)

The staff is usually very helpfull and friendly, and the room was big and nice. We had a room at the 4th floor with a view to the hotels front. Not the sea-view in other words. It was nice enough, we didnt go on vacation to sit on our terrasse, anyway, we just had some tea there now and then.
The woman who cleaned our room was extremely nice, nicest person there I think.

We also tried the free sauna and steamshower which can be reached from the pool areas desk. Ask one of the girls there and they will show the way. There is also a big bubblebath there.

The only minus of our trip was the falcon show they kept having in the rosegarden. A man holding a big bird then letting it fly. Then calling for it. Where is the fun in this? Nowhere. This usually happens during breakfast. We asked the hotel to stop with this in our review to the hotel which they send out every week. We hope they listen and that more will complain. Birds belong in the wild.

We will go back to this lovely island, but next time we will go to a less posh place where we feel more on level with the staff. The way it was now, it was almost like having personal slaves bringing towels and fixing everything. Not our cup of tea, but what would one expect from a luxury hotel?

The nearby resturants are okay, but we prefered to go to the city for dinner. Bigger variety and better food. We tried some in Lido and were not extremely impressed. Some were good, but some were not.

Highly recommended to people who want to be spoiled for a while! Great place for relaxing.
ps: the double bed is really two single beds pushed together.

Room Tip: the terrasse with the view to the front of the hotel is more than good enough.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Line F
Thank you for your feedback. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our hotel offer many facilities and the sea water pool is a much appreciated one. Breakfast is a treat and most of the year you can enjoy your meal on the garden terrace.
The resident falcon is not intended as an activity of show. The beautiful bird is the natural way to ensure that we do not get large number of sea gulls that can cause much inconvenience. Just the presence of our falcon gives much respect from the local wildlife.
In case you are interested in a small and friendly four star country house experience the Porto Bay Serra Golf might be an alternative…
I hope to see you soon again in Madeira.
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 11, 2014

Stayed at this hotel for 7nights from 21st April. The hotel is very much 5* and whilst this is reflected in the prices charged it remains good value for money. We ate in the main buffet restaurant every night and were not disappointed. Each night has a different theme and the food was varied. We had a lower priced room which was a little smaller with a restricted view but were still quite happy. Next time we would go for a room with a full sea view and perhaps forego half board as this certainly appeared to be the popular choice. The major factor however in our view was the standard of the staff. Everyone without exception from the reception staff, those in the restaurant and bars, even to the room attendants were courteous, helpful and appeared intent on ensuring that you enjoyed your stay. I would recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank cgjhol
Thank you for your kind feedback. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. We are very proud of our staff and I am pleased that our buffet selection in the Rose Garden restaurant was to your satisfaction.
I hope to see you soon again in Madeira.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 9, 2014

Once again my sixteenth visit in fifteen years says it all; this is a lovely, relaxing holiday hotel. This time I noticed further improvements and changes as Cliff Bay look to keep their five star image, some I liked, some not so keen but overall you see the hotel trying to offer the best environment possible.
As I have mentioned before, I go regularly because you feel part of a Club atmosphere, familiar faces, familiar routine and the same familiar quality service everywhere. That said, there does appear to be an ever increasing number of transient holidaymakers who feels they are entitled to be the focal point wherever they maybe, whether in the dining or breakfast room or poolside and the staff are to be treated liked ‘slaves’ to their every need. Nothing is too much trouble to any of the staff, senior or junior and as such they should be treated with the respect they deserve.
It is a family hotel and caters for all ages BUT Madeira is not particularly suited to children and with the hotel average age in the high forties, there are few children at any one time.
A change I think that needs to occur is the introduction of a Concierge, at least during the high season. It is unreasonable to expect the reception area to handle incoming and outgoing guests and the residents’ questions; the residents naturally not being interested in those coming and going and sometimes the simpler questions take longer to answer because of the wide range of nationalities at the hotel. One for Mr Ringertz!
Look forward to my next visit.

Room Tip: After I have booked mine.....a room with a view over Funchal is a must.
3 Thank Alan P
Thank you for your feedback and for letting us host your stay so many times. I am delighted to hear that we together with the beautiful island of Madeira managed to make you return once again. I have taken careful note of your feedback and let’s see what the future brings.
Looking forward to welcome you back in near future.