“Great hotel for a family trip”

Hotel The Cliff Bay
Ranked #3 of 88 Hotels in Funchal
Reviewed November 4, 2013

When I was for the first time in Portugal with my family in vacation, I stayed at this hotel. My family described it in just one word: superb! The rooms are superb! Like in a fairytale! My wife fall in love with the room the moment he stepped into the room. The room was very very big, clean, with nice furniture and a great balcony with an amazing view over the gardens and the sea! She never saw such a nice hotel! The staff is amazing and the breakfast was the best! Hope to come back next year!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Joseph M
Write a ReviewReviews (3,037)

Reviewed November 2, 2013

Fantastic hotel with fantastic staff.
I am writing this, sitting on the balcony of our room, looking out across the Atlantic.
The rooms are immaculate and very spacious. The bed is the biggest I've ever slept in (8 feet) wide!
Food is first class and the staff are extremely good at their jobs as well as friendly and helpful.
There are many hoteliers out there who should come here and see what a hotel should be like.
Some reviewers have said that it's expensive - well it's not cheap but the experience is worth every penny. I just wish we could stay longer. Maybe next time...
(We didn't use the spa so I didn't give it a grade - but I'm sure it would have been as great as the rest of the hotel.)

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a "full" sea view.
3  Thank Simonbikertrash
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Just had the most wonderful week in the Cliff Bay, We had problems with our flight and arrived a day late, tired and cross!
From the moment we walked into reception we were very impressed. The staff were very pleasant and everywhere was spotless. After registering we were shown to our room and wow what a room, very spacious and clean with a good balcony looking out over the gardens and the sea. You could feel the stress ebbing away.
We could not praise the staff enough for their friendliness and helpfulness, much more than you might expect, nothing was to much trouble. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will definitely be going back to Madeira and back to the Cliff Bay.

5  Thank David J
Reviewed October 30, 2013

We have just returned from a week at The Cliff Bay. It was our first visit to Madeira, and we were very impressed with the island and the variety of experiences it has to offer. But what made our stay so special was The Cliff Bay. It has a wonderful setting - we had sea view rooms on the 6th floor - afternoon sun and evening sunset. It is closer to the centre of Funchal than many of the other large hotels. It is a half hour walk, or there is a courtesy bus during the day, and taxis are not expensive. The rooms were huge and the beds exceptionally comfortable. The staff were always courteous, friendly and helpful - nothing was too much trouble - reception helped us to book taxis and restaurants and to buy flowers to take home.The breakfasts were outstanding, and we enjoyed the live music each evening. The whole experience was superb.

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher floors are quieter. You have the choice of a Funchal view (including the harbour...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank TerryL34
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Just returned from a wonderful week. As always, hotel and staff excellent, food first class although my body has now gone into shock since it doesn't have to cope with the morning breakfast. Already planning to go back next year for the eighth time.

Room Tip: Choose a room overlooking Funchal harbour and watch the cruise ships come in at sunrise.
1  Thank DorsetDC
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Excellent hotel which couldn't be faulted. Staff were helpful throughout the hotel. Food was first class especially the breakfast which set you up for the day. Room had the biggest bed which ensured a great nights sleep.

2  Thank fergusonc
Reviewed October 29, 2013

This hotel again lived up to my expectations. The staff are exceptional and for me just the right balance of formality and informality.I was on the first floor overlooking the bay and I loved it-actually preferred it to a higher level room. I like the inclusion of light music by a variety of musicians in the evening in part of the hotel .Again for me it is just the right balance-no hectic night entertainment and no intrusion of sound entering my room. In fact it is a very quiet hotel I find.
I recommend the spa. Price reduction this year made it very good value and the treatments are excellent.
I have nothing but praise!

Room Tip: A room with a view of the sea is great to watch the sun rising and setting.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo