Mostly in agreement of all of the comments from previous contributors about the excellent quality of this hotel. The overall experience was highly enjoyable with one major reservation about a few members of the service team.
In general the service is very efficient although perhaps not as friendly as their sister hotel the Porto Mare where everything is done with a genuine smile. The great exception were the pool staff who were all wonderful and ready to help without being asked. The stand out was the wonderful Tania who treated all guests as friends and made everyone feel relaxed.
The breakfast food was of a high standard, plenty of choice with wonderful fresh fruit and breads always available. One minor complaint was the total lack of variety in the cooked breakfast - the same style of potatoes and sausages for two weeks does suggest a lack of thought.
The evening buffet was acceptable without being ground breaking but there are many excellent restaurants within a short distance so we did not find this a problem.
The rooms are very comfortable and a sea view is highly desirable. We had a fourth floor room which had an extended balcony for a better view. The cleaning staff are very good and very friendly.
As one or two others have suggested there is a small cabal of older staff in the poolside Blue Lagoon who have seem to have a problem understanding the expression of service with a smile. We watched this with amusement for a number of days before we were confronted by the head of the group.
Choosing a table outside the bar for a lunchtime drink the following episode took place. We were looking at the drinks menu when the lady suddenly appeared seemingly from nowhere and the conversation went exactly like this.
- Yes? without even a good afternoon or hint of a smile
- I'd like a glass of red wine please
- A beer please
- Room number?
and with that she was gone. I would not expect this treatment in a 2 star hotel in Bulgaria and certainly not a major 5 star establishment in Madeira. We did put these comments on our review before leaving but have heard nothing since.
This was an annoying but minor distraction on an otherwise relaxing and wonderful fortnight. It certainly wouldn't stop us returning in future.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Atlantic Ocean stretches as far as the eye can see at the foot of The Cliff Bay which is perched on the top of a natural promontory. The hotel is surrounded by gardens with innumerable secluded corners and centenary palm trees extending to the very edge of the cliff face. The panorama is completed by a magnificent view over the bay of Funchal to the left of the hotel.The most influential restaurant guide in the world, the Michelin Guide, has awarded a star to Il Gallo d'Oro, The Cliff Bay's gourmet restaurant run by Chef Benoît Sinthon. This is Madeira's first and only star ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Expedia, Hotwire, Priceline, TravelUp, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Hotel The Cliff Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Cliff Bay - Porto Bay Hotel Funchal
- Cliff Bay Porto Funchal
- Cliff Bay Hotel Funchal
- Cliff Bay Hotel Madeira
- Hotel The Cliff Bay Madeira/Funchal