We have just returned from a week long stay at the Cliff Bay Hotel, Funchal celebrating both a birthday and wedding anniversary. The hotel was recommended by a friend and did not disappoint. There is nothing I can write about the hotel that has not already been said, it is a true five star hotel with excellent facilities, helpful staff and fantastic attention to detail is evident everywhere. The bedrooms are well equipped and spacious with a large bathroom including a separate shower with glass door and toiletries provided. Overall, one of, if not the best, hotel I have ever stayed in. Situated on the cliff top the views are to die for and plentiful sun loungers on the lido at anytime of day. We ate in both the Rose Garden and 'The Bistro', the latter offering a set menu from the Michelin restaurant for a fixed price and absolutely superb. We bought a 3 night dinner package and ending up eating in the hotel for 5 of the 7 nights, it was so good. The evening entertainment is of a good standard and we enjoyed most of the acts.
The centre of Funchal is about a half hour pleasant stroll away and we visited the Marina, fish market and shopping district not to mention a very enjoyable visit to Blandys for a little Madeira Wine tasting! We hired a taxi for four and half hours and visited Garajau and the Christ the King statue, Monte and the botanical gardens. The driver stopped frequently for photo opportunities and was very informative and helpful dropping us back at the hotel afterward. This cost us 80e but was quite cost effective when the cost of the cable cars etc is taken into account.
We booked a day trip to Porto Monix via the tour operator rep (Windsor Travel) at the hotel. The transport was a minibus of 8 persons and with a great group of companions and a local English speaking driver we travelled up the North West coast of Madeira via Ribeira Brava, a banana plantation, Porto Monix and the volcanic pools returning via Sao Vicente taking in the natural waterfall with an ultimate stop at Cabo Girao, the highest sea cliff in Europe and 2nd in the world with its transparent platform. At 35e per person with a lunch option if required for a little extra, this was a fantastic day out and worth every penny.
As a birthday treat we had afternoon tea in the hotel @ 16.50e each. This was an extravagant delight of small sandwiches (minus crust!) including smoked salmon, cucumber sandwiches followed by a selection of cakes and a scone with jam and whipped cream. This was taken on the hotel terrace overlooking the bay and gardens with soft background music, sun shining and made me think of colonial England in days gone by.
Madeira is a beautiful island with a temperate climate and a cooling breeze and even on the overcast couple of days we had, we found plenty to see and do.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Atlantic Ocean stretches as far as the eye can see at the foot of The Cliff Bay which is perched on the top of a natural promontory. The hotel is surrounded by gardens with innumerable secluded corners and centenary palm trees extending to the very edge of the cliff face. The panorama is completed by a magnificent view over the bay of Funchal to the left of the hotel.The most influential restaurant guide in the world, the Michelin Guide, has awarded a star to Il Gallo d'Oro, The Cliff Bay's gourmet restaurant run by Chef Benoît Sinthon. This is Madeira's first and only star ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Booking.com, TravelUp, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, Hotel.de, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Priceline so you can book your Hotel The Cliff Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Cliff Bay - Porto Bay Hotel Funchal
- Cliff Bay Porto Funchal
- Cliff Bay Hotel Funchal
- Cliff Bay Hotel Madeira
- Hotel The Cliff Bay Madeira/Funchal