We have stayed here 4 times and highly recommend this hotel. The staff are friendly and helpful, the facilities are good and everything is well looked after and clean.
The rooms are comfortable and spacious and have balconies.
Breakfasts and the themed evening buffets in the Rose Garden restaurant are excellent. I have two favourites, one is the Madeiran buffet which includes a glass of Madeira wine, Madeiran specialities and later some folk music and dancing. The other is the fish buffet when there is a stunning array of seafood, sushi, a large salmon baked in a salt crust and several hot fish dishes. The pastry chef knows his onions as the desserts are above average for a hotel buffet.
My Rose Garden Waitress Award goes to Paula.
There are plenty spaces to sit outside with different views, either at hotel level at the top of the cliff or smaller areas on the way down to the sea or right down by the sea.
At hotel level there is a swimming pool that is half inside and half out and fairly warm. I like the sea water pool on the lower level.
There is a courtesy bus to take you down to town.
In the evening there is live music in the bar. My favourite is the local music performed with passion and skill by Banda d Alem on a Friday, you can find them on youtube. I also like the jazz evening and The Strolling Saxophone duo. Some of the others though can be a bit samey with some of the same tunes being repeated. The Fado evening was good but wasn't on this year.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Atlantic Ocean stretches as far as the eye can see at the foot of The Cliff Bay which is perched on the top of a natural promontory. The hotel is surrounded by gardens with innumerable secluded corners and centenary palm trees extending to the very edge of the cliff face. The panorama is completed by a magnificent view over the bay of Funchal to the left of the hotel.The most influential restaurant guide in the world, the Michelin Guide, has awarded a star to Il Gallo d'Oro, The Cliff Bay's gourmet restaurant run by Chef Benoît Sinthon. This is Madeira's first and only star ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel The Cliff Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Cliff Bay - Porto Bay Hotel Funchal
- Cliff Bay Porto Funchal
- Cliff Bay Hotel Funchal
- Cliff Bay Hotel Madeira
- Hotel The Cliff Bay Madeira/Funchal