Hotel The Cliff Bay
$135
  • Restaurant
$258
$242
Melia Madeira Mare Resort & Spa(Funchal)
$139
$128
Melia.com
$162
$139
$444
Hotels.com
3,204 results
All reviewsrose gardenmichelin star restaurantil gallopollofunchal viewle cliff barsea levellower poolpool stafftop floorwonderful hotelreturning guestssea waternothing is too much troublespa areadress codespa treatments
Reviewed March 6, 2008

We have just returned from a week at the Cliff Bay and it was fantastic. We had stunning views over the ocean and the Bay of Funchal from our balcony and were able to watch the sun set in the evening while enjoying a glass of wine. We have never had such good service in a restaurant as we had in the Gallo d'Oro - but remember tie or jacket needed for the gentlemen here in the evening. The breakfasts were sumptious. The facilities were excellent and the heated sea water swimming pool on the deck beside the ocean was lovely. Our room was on the 7th floor so we had little extras like a menu of pillows, and free soft drinks and water from the minibar. We also had breakfast in the Gallo d'Oro every morning included. A little late in the week I discovered the spa - one for ladies and one for men. Mmh! beautiful, relaxing and the therapists were so caring. If you are looking for lots of night life and activities in the hotel this is not the place for you. However, we loved it and can thoroughly recommend the hotel and will be returning.

Stayed: February 2008
4  Thank melina66
Reviewed March 5, 2008

I have just returned from a weeks stay at the Cliff Bay and have to say how lovely it was. I went with my Mum for a winter break and we had a lovely, relaxing time. The staff were very polite and courteous and the entire atmosphere was that of a five star hotel. I intend visiting The Cliff Bay again in the future.

Stayed: February 2008
3  Thank ladydLancashire
Reviewed March 1, 2008

My husband and I have just returned from a glorious week at the Cliff Bay. We found it everthing a 5 star should be in every way. We paid extra for a side sea view but when checking in found we had been allocated a full sea view which was brilliant, but to be honest the side sea views are great also, especially if you overlook the harbour as you get a great view of the cruise ships. We met some people who had one of these sea view rooms. If you like the sun though, after mid day it has gone so one of the side sea rooms on the other side would be better. We didnt have this problem as we were right on the end facing the sea and had the sun literally all day which was great. If you are staying in a great hotel like this upgrade your room for the views they are spectacular.

I had looked at the reviews about eating places and took note of some of the recomendations on trip advisor. Tokos just outside the hotel is a brilliant small restaurant (book we couldnt get in on the first night) specialises in fish and meat and the chef is very proud of his menu and we found him very entertaining but nice and the food is excellent. The Italian on the Lido Il Basicillca I think it is called is very good also again book, people were waiting for it to open. We only ate in the restaurant one night the Rose Garden, because we wanted to try a few different places the other restaurant in the hotel is jacket and tie. They have themed nights in the Rose Garden the night we went in was Italian (self service which I normally dont like especially if you are staying in a 5 star) but it was very good lots to choose from and the chef cooked the pasta in front of you.

Breakfasts were great and the best thing was you could get breakfast until 10 30.

The room was lovely, dressing gowns and slippers, a huge flat screen TV with english channels and not just CNN, bbc news, sky news, a music channel, a history channel etc. Fresh towels every day, nice tolietries in the bathroom, mini bar and coffee and tea making facilities and a hairdrier in the bathroom.

We booked with Thomsons and had a bottle of red wine and some fresh fruit in our room on arrival also.

The pools and the spa area are wonderful, you can just sit and relax all day which is what we did most of the time we hadnt gone with the intent of going on trips we justed wanted a well deserved rest, both of us having extremely busy jobs.

The other thing which was great was the free internet access available all day in reception or in the spa reception area. We managed to get on it at some time every day which was good.

The only down side I can think of is the taxi drivers. Thomson provided us with a taxi transfer from the airport and on our return and they drive far too fast and I actually commented on this on the holiday questionaire we were asked to fill in. Apart from that I can honestly say it is the nicest hotel we have ever stayed in. All the staff were excellent and very helpful. I found Funchal not a very attractive place cannot comment on the rest of Madeira as we didnt get round it but I would go back to Madeira just to stay at the Cliff Bay.

The only other thing which you might or might not find useful or you might or might not already know is the age group I would say is mainly elderly. We are 48 and 50 and I thought we were one of the youngest couples apart from one or two young families (mainly german or french with one child) but this didnt bother us in the slightest in fact we met a lovely couple in their seventies who we had drinks with in the evening and had a really good time, so I would definately go back again and I might even take my parents with me!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank higginsresidence
Reviewed February 28, 2008

We have just recently returned from the Cliff Bay Hotel and all I can say was that the experience was superb! The room was fantistically clean, they even hoovered the balcony! The Spa exceeded our expectations and the whole holiday was out of this world. Our only criticism was that the restaurants in the hotel were so expensive. We were charged 30euros for two toasted cheese sandwiches, one beer and a glass of wine. However the good surpassed this one downside and we would definitely pay another visit .

5  Thank MaxwellLondon
Reviewed February 24, 2008

We chose the Cliff Bay after reading the reviews on trip advisor, and while not as enamoured of the hotel ambiance as some of the reviewers, it is probably the best place to stay in Funchal. Apart from Reid's, most of the other big hotels are concrete monstrosities (although presumably nice inside). The Cliff Bay has the advantage of its location, where, if you ask (and pay the supplement) for a side sea view, you get a lovely vista of Funchal and the sea, and to one side, Reid's palace - but you don't see the concrete monstrosities mentioned above. We had Room 226, (standard room) with large balcony. We would have preferred to be higher up but again, you pay more for that. The live entertainment from "Le Cliff " was intrusive on occasion, but finished at 11.30pm.
Breakfast was great; but the evening buffet is shockingly expensive! €36 each - only worth it if you haven't eaten for a few days.

Good amenities and helpful staff, especially when our airport transfer failed to materialise and the receptionist made numerous phone calls for us to resolve the problem.
A hike into town, but only a €4 taxi ride.
Nice fluffy bathrobes and toiletries but no room slippers, which I would have expected in a 5* hotel; also the hair dryer was a "state-of-the-ark" model, attached to the wall - I think it's about time they updated them.
Part of the Porto Bay group, they have a 4* place downtown which looks nice, and The Residence at the Lido. (Lots of building going on at the Lido end of town)

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank Figgysfriend