We chose the Cliff Bay after reading the reviews on trip advisor, and while not as enamoured of the hotel ambiance as some of the reviewers, it is probably the best place to stay in Funchal. Apart from Reid's, most of the other big hotels are concrete monstrosities (although presumably nice inside). The Cliff Bay has the advantage of its location, where, if you ask (and pay the supplement) for a side sea view, you get a lovely vista of Funchal and the sea, and to one side, Reid's palace - but you don't see the concrete monstrosities mentioned above. We had Room 226, (standard room) with large balcony. We would have preferred to be higher up but again, you pay more for that. The live entertainment from "Le Cliff " was intrusive on occasion, but finished at 11.30pm.
Breakfast was great; but the evening buffet is shockingly expensive! €36 each - only worth it if you haven't eaten for a few days.
Good amenities and helpful staff, especially when our airport transfer failed to materialise and the receptionist made numerous phone calls for us to resolve the problem.
A hike into town, but only a €4 taxi ride.
Nice fluffy bathrobes and toiletries but no room slippers, which I would have expected in a 5* hotel; also the hair dryer was a "state-of-the-ark" model, attached to the wall - I think it's about time they updated them.
Part of the Porto Bay group, they have a 4* place downtown which looks nice, and The Residence at the Lido. (Lots of building going on at the Lido end of town)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Atlantic Ocean stretches as far as the eye can see at the foot of The Cliff Bay which is perched on the top of a natural promontory. The hotel is surrounded by gardens with innumerable secluded corners and centenary palm trees extending to the very edge of the cliff face. The panorama is completed by a magnificent view over the bay of Funchal to the left of the hotel.The most influential restaurant guide in the world, the Michelin Guide, has awarded a star to Il Gallo d'Oro, The Cliff Bay's gourmet restaurant run by Chef Benoît Sinthon. This is Madeira's first and only star ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, TravelUp, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel The Cliff Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Cliff Bay - Porto Bay Hotel Funchal
- Cliff Bay Porto Funchal
- Cliff Bay Hotel Funchal
- Cliff Bay Hotel Madeira
- Hotel The Cliff Bay Madeira/Funchal