“Great tour but...”

Pride of Madeira Tours
Ranked #34 of 105 Tours in Funchal
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Great tour but the minibus was old and very, very uncomfortable. Other services had much newer vehicles. Our guide also was a constant smoker, rather annoying on a hike.

5  Thank 74JasonC74
There are newer reviews for Pride of Madeira Tours

Reviewed November 19, 2012

I booked a package tour with this company called Pride of Madeira. At first I was a bit skeptical about the price ( 50 € for 3 tours) and I thought it could even be timeshare. But nothing of the sort. What I got was an incredible deal! I did the West Tour , the East Tour and the Nun's valley tour. The guides I met ( Jorge and Filipe) were very knowledgeable about the island's history and spoke really good english. They provided plenty of information and I was impressed how they spoke 3 languages and still managed to provide all the attention and information to each individual. Next year when I come back again to Madeira I will try some levada walks with them as well. If you want the best mix between price and quality this would be the company I recommend. Polite and knowledgeable guides and even the people in the offices of the company are lovely. Had a great time. Hope my review is helpful

2  Thank MariaC186230
Reviewed October 17, 2012

For half the price of the Thomson tours, I would recommend the 3 tour offer. Book in the shop in Funchal or Canico [opposite the Quinta Splendida Hotel and save more [E55 instead of E67.50] (Thomson E109) 8 seater minibus, gets down smaller roads and the guide literally stops to smell the flowers. Great value for money with a personal service and multilingual. Lavada walks - remember to take good walking shoes and a lightweight raincoat and /or brolly. The weather can change very quickly and you could get caught out. Be prepared!

2  Thank Harricobean
Reviewed December 3, 2011

We took the west tour with Pride of Maderia Tours. We drived to many places we didn´t have visited before. The guide were good, he could tell us things we didn´t know even we had been on the island several times. The lunch on the top of Paul do Mar was exellent, and the whole day flew quickly away. It is not the last time we have used this compagny.

3  Thank Veryhappy629
Reviewed July 14, 2011

We took two tours with Pride of Madeira tours. We did the Rabacal Levada Walk and the West Tour. The levada walk was beautiful and our guide Jorge had many interesting facts. He was quite personable and pleasant. My reservations are that there were 18 people on the walk and it made it hard to always hear what Jorge was saying. He would explain to the first walkers near him, but if you were a little further back, you missed a lot of his explanations. I felt hurried sometimes and like we were on a time table. The ride to the levada walk was also a little hairy! Steep, narrow roads going at amazingly fast speeds. We were also told at the hotel that we could arrange for lunch with the driver, who it turns out knew nothing about that. Luckily we stopped at a small town to wait for the other vans and with some translating help got sandwiches and water, otherwise we would have done the full day hike with no food or water. The West Tour was also very interesting and Antonio also had many very interesting facts, however, we were in the back of the van and I had trouble hearing what he said. I finally got tired of asking the people in front of us what he said and enjoyed the scenery. Unfortunate because I was really interested in what he had to say. Again, we felt a little hurried, like there was a real strict time table. We did have a lovely lunch with this tour at a restaurant that overlooked the ocean at Porto Moniz. It was a wonderful lunch and only cost 10 euros, a very reasonable price considering it was 3 courses plus wine.
We took a tour with another company while on Madeira where there was a driver and a guide so we were able to hear and ask all we needed and there did not seem to be a rush, but rather the tour fit our needs.
I gave The Pride of Madeira Tours 3 stars because they seem knowledgable and know Madeira, however, there are a few things they could improve to make the tours better.

7  Thank colohightravelers