“One of the Best of Funchal--A Must Try”
Review of Chalet Vicente

Chalet Vicente
Ranked #150 of 688 Restaurants in Funchal
Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 2, 2014

This restaurant was the best restaurant that my wife and I visited during our honeymoon. I had the best filet mignon of my life at this restaurant--cooked perfectly medium rare, excellent side dishes, great wine pairings by our server, and their deer steak dish is fabulous as well. This restaurant is a true gem in Funchal, with excellent traditional Portuguese food, as well as dishes with French culinary influence. If you are in Funchal and you avoid this restaurant--well...just, don't.

2  Thank CMsirP
Write a ReviewReviews (1,180)

Reviewed June 28, 2014

I am not able to fault anything. great service great food, Staff very helpful in explaining what different things are on the menu

Reviewed June 25, 2014 via mobile

Hansel and Gretel style house un-missable as you walk down the road lined with restaurants.

However disappointingly the look of the exterior didn't translate to the food.
Undercooked & 'poor' cuts of meat, and shoddy service left us feeling very disappointed. After complaining about the food, the staff said thank you for your comments & would you like you try desert?! Totally not the right response.

Silver lining was the Tia Maria coffee which was excellent.
Personally I would admire the building but eat at many of the other restaurants on Estrada Monumental road.

Reviewed June 20, 2014 via mobile

We stumbled across this place in the vicinity of our hotel, and its quirky looks attracted our interest. A look at the menu and we were in! We sat on the patio in front of this chalet-style building, with a view of the garden as well as the chalet's lovely interior. The food offering includes many local favourites such as espetadas (skewers of chargrilled beef), tuna steaks, milho frito, etc. My partner's tuna steaks came in a rich and delicious red wine sauce (!), which worked a real treat. I went for chargrilled cuts of Iberian black pig, which was intensely flavoursome and juicy. The wine list is also quite remarkable with a wide range of Portuguese and other wines on offer, priced from the very reasonable to the more luxurious and everything in between. Ours was great and a steal at around €15 for the bottle. Others' food passed by and looked equally appetising, and the service was friendly and efficient. Overall, highly recommended.

3  Thank ncjttn
Reviewed June 18, 2014

been to this restaurant twice during our stay in Madeira and all I can say is WOW. Everything in both meals was fantastic, As others have mentioned the portions are enormous and the choice extensive,

The service was perfect and the atmosphere superb. I have a special birthday next month and would love to go back to this restaurant Alas not possible

1  Thank jeffreykrell