“RE: Good Value Tours”

Madeira Happy Tours - Day Excursions
Ranked #28 of 118 Tours in Funchal
More attraction details
Owner description: Madeira Happy Tours is an official tour operator agency based in Madeira island - Portugal - specialized in Madeira island excursions & levada walks.
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Booked on two day mini bus tours with this company (North and West) which were quite different experiences and we did a levada walk.

North tour was small group and quick to pick up from the Old Town and drop off (830am to 430pm total day) and had a great day out visiting the caves in Sao Vicente and a really nice tour guide and dinner for 12euros. This deserved 5 stars.

The West Tour was very different as we were picked up first in the old town at about 830am and then had to go round many hotels in the Hotel Town area of Funchal picking up people which took over an hour and then we did the same on the return and decided to be dropped off in the centre at about 645pm and walk back - this was a much longer day and we had a wasted 20minute stop at 540pm at Encumeda hotel in the cloud given the tour should have ended at 5pm. The West Tour day was too long and a large proportion of our day was spent picking up people in Hotel Town and hanging out in Porto Moniz which was basically a load of cafe's and the least interesting place on the tour. The tour guide was nice and informative

The long pick up/drop off process was repeated for the Levada walk which meant we were picked up at 810am and didn't start walking until 1110am although it was a 45minute drive from Funchal to the walk start. On the return we got off in Hotel Town and walked home as we thought it would be quicker and returned at 5pm after just a 30min walk. The walk was 3.5hours so with the 1h30 return drive and a short break of 15mins each way, I would have expected a 5.5hr to 6hr day and not a 9hour day where the extra time is wasted going round Hotel Town.

The tours and the walk were very good and I would have rated them overall higher but the pick/drop scheme needs to be improved. I would expect two or three pick up/drop off points that we all have to meet at rather than wasting the day going round hotels. A separate service could be offerred to others for pick up from the hotels if they can't be bothered to walk to a pick up point or are unable to walk.

I would go on a trip again but I would ask to be picked up last if not in the Hotel Town.

3  Thank WildBillSheffield
"mini buses"
in 13 reviews
"monumental lido"
in 4 reviews
"excellent value for money"
in 16 reviews
in 7 reviews
"small group"
in 9 reviews

Reviewed May 14, 2013

I like to go on walking excursions when in Madeira. Over the years I have found that Madiera Happy Tours is the best place to go to arrange these. Marco, the manager, is extremely friendly and helpful and always ready with good suggestions.

As well as walking tours he provides an excellent service if you wish to go on a minibus tour or boat trip.

Make Madeira Happy Tours your first point of call when arriving in Funchal; I do, and have always been well pleased

3  Thank KeithfromDrum
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Having failed to research tour operators before going to Funchal I'd been given tour brochures by the firm that picked me up at the airport and by our hotel reception. It was only by chance that we came upon the Madeira Happy Tours shop in Monumental Lido and were immediately struck by their prices that were significantly cheaper than those we'd already seen (e.g. €20 versus €34 for day tours). We were assured they were no different and went on the South-East and North-West tours. The guides for both were excellent. Only low cloudy weather stopped us going on the Nuns Valley afternoon tour.

Madeira Happy Tours will be our first choice of operator on any future visits.

6  Thank PeterPietro
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Wednesday the 24th of April2013, we went on the tour to the Nuns Valley our driver who i think was called Etoni (apologies for wrong spelling) he gave a very informative commentary on route, & the views from the 3 stops we had were amazing.The tour takes about 3hours & it was very good value & one i would recommend going on.

7  Thank val p
See more reviews
Reviewed April 16, 2013

After researching Madeira's tour operators on Trip Advisor, Happy Tours came out way on top for value for money. Marco responded within hours to my enquiry and further e mails and couldn't have been more helpful or professional.
It was when I had to cancel our tour after my father and I were sadly media-vacced off our cruise ship on Day 1 of a 40 day cruise, that Marco blew me away by not only kindly reimbursing our money, but also keeping in regular contact with me to check on my father's progress as he was hospitilised in the Bahamas and was subsequently forced to fly home to Australia in order for him to convalesce.
Being a family business, the obvious care and concern displayed by Marco is an indication of the strong work ethic and genuine concern he has for all his clients, even those who have not had the opportunity to experience his tours. These are the sort of operators we all need to promote.

11  Thank Nikkiloolah