Tripadvisor
Funchal
Post
Inbox
Search

“Simple surroundings but excellent food!”

Oriental Indian Cuisine
Reserve a Table
Tue, 2/18
8:00 PM
Ranked #394 of 830 Restaurants in Funchal
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Having been to a couple of other Indian restaurants in Funchal (and not having a great experience) I have to say this was the best by far. Having opened only in November the food is excellent. It’s proper traditional home cooked Indian food - both tasty and authentic.

Jussi, one of the staff, is very attentive and the manager is a really funny and welcoming guy. When you place your order they ask how spicy you like the food and will cook everything fresh to suit your tastebuds. Nothing seems to be too much trouble. Food freshly cooked of course means there is a bit of a wait but definitely worth it!

We loved the food so much we plan to go back before our holiday finishes. We also got chatting to some of the other customers and they too agreed this food was the best Indian they had eaten in Funchal and confirmed they too will be going back before going home.

Definitely worth a visit ... and skip lunch! The portions are large and excellent value for money.

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (23)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Very good food and good service Also nice for vegetarians. I can recommend this place to anyone visiting Funchal!

Reviewed January 11, 2020 via mobile

We tried this restaurant on a Friday evening around 7pm , it was not very busy and we decided to sit inside.
The service was prompt and we chose a Jal Frezi and Tikka Masala, both chicken. Ordered a couple of popadom with relishes, these were varied and good, standard.
The main meals were served with boiled rice and we ordered extra garlic naan, which was very good,additionally we were given an onion salad.
Both mains were tasty , good portion sizes and cooked to our own preferences.
The staff were attentive without being overbearing.
Although we did not try it , the tandoori dishes were highly recommended by Johnny the manager, maybe next time.
One downside , no prices for beers were shown, I had one very small bottle of beer, at Euro 2.50 !

1  Thank Mike145a
Reviewed January 7, 2020

My girlfriend and I searched far and wide for some vegetarian food that wasn’t pasta and this place gave us exactly that. The food was cooked fresh, the portion sizes were generous, and the staff were fabulous. Even my coffee was great! Would highly recommend.

Reviewed January 7, 2020

I love indian food! But this was the strangest indian meal I have ever tasted. The menu was very confusing. And the food very inconsistent. We would not visit this restaurant again. The sauce that came with the tandoori looked and tasted more like a salsa. Not what I had in mind. We tried to order different spice levels on the sauce, as it was stated in the menu, but we got one sauce to share. So that didn't work out... But the staff was nice.

Date of visit: December 2019