Just returned from a fantastic 7 night stay at this hotel. When I asked my wife what she thought of it she simply said "100% amazing". So I've not much more to add. The other reviewers sum it up nicely.
However one of the things we particularly liked were the gardens, togther with the terraces down at sea level. You could laze around on a sun bed nice and private, without other guests being on top of you. We discovered by accident that the local lizards like sardine spread. So it became a daily ritual to buy some sardine spread from the Spa shop opposite the hotel and feed the lizards while we sun bathed. They went mad for it!
Beware if you are thinking of doing the 25 Fontes/Risco levada walk. You will probably encounter another 500 - 600 people doing the same walk and all starting off at roughly the same time. It takes 4.5 hours. There are no toilets and virtually no opportunities to sneak in to the bush for a comfort break as much of the walk has a precipice on one side and a sheer rock face on the other!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set on cliff tops overlooking the Bay of Funchal and the Atlantic Ocean, this legendary hotel has, for over a century, been a standard-bearer for excellence. The hotel is located on 10 acres of subtropical gardens, boasts enviable access to the sea and is within walking distance of Funchal's shops, restaurants and night-life. With its reputation for excellence and discreet service, Belmond Reid's Palace is the ideal place at which to relax and be pampered. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Hotwire, Orbitz, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Belmond Reid's Palace reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Reid`s Palace By Orient-Express Hotel Funchal
- Reids Palace Funchal
- Reids Palace Hotel Funchal
- Belmond Reid's Palace Madeira/Funchal