This really is an old-style luxury hotel with none of the stuffiness you might find in similar ones. Every member of staff we met was friendly and helpful. The pool area has a wonderful outlook over the sea. We didn't pay for an upgrade, just opting for the standard 'Charming' room. We were given 728, which is certainly not large but beautifully appointed, with room for both cases. It has two lovely armchairs looking out through the French doors, but it has has to be said, we found them 'snug' - and we're not large! The bathroom is also lovely. However, the really fantastic thing about this room (and the one next door 730) is that it has an amazing terrace, which is bigger than the room. It faces east so is bathed in morning sun, which makes it is possible to spend the morning sitting there enjoying the view over the harbour where the cruise ships are berthed.
If I were to make a criticism it would be that the Afternoon Tea is not good value if you are staying in the hotel. If you are not, then you do get the opportunity to see at least some of the lovely public rooms and sit on the famous balcony. However, the lucky guests can do this all the time.
We didn't notice much formal wear around although the older guests were less casually dressed for breakfast than you might expect.
I do hope this hotel is successful in attracting the younger age groups to keep the tradition of staying at this historic hotel alive for many more years.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set on cliff tops overlooking the Bay of Funchal and the Atlantic Ocean, this legendary hotel has, for over a century, been a standard-bearer for excellence. The hotel is located on 10 acres of subtropical gardens, boasts enviable access to the sea and is within walking distance of Funchal's shops, restaurants and night-life. With its reputation for excellence and discreet service, Belmond Reid's Palace is the ideal place at which to relax and be pampered. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Belmond, Expedia, Hotwire, Travelocity, Priceline, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Cheap Tickets, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Belmond Reid's Palace reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Reid`s Palace By Orient-Express Hotel Funchal
- Reids Palace Funchal
- Reids Palace Hotel Funchal
- Belmond Reid's Palace Madeira/Funchal