I had stayed at Reids a couple of times previously , but not for some years. Went for a 4 day weekend break. It has actually improved and it was pretty good before. The staff are warm and friendly and if it's forced, then it's very well rehearsed or hidden. On arrival @ 10.00a.m. ..red-eye flight ..we were allowed to check into our room several hours before we were entitled to. We were also treated to complimentary coffee and tea on the terrace,whilst they finished the room off. The clifftop setting is spectacular and beautiful. The hotel oozes grace, history and charm. Sea swimming ,Atlantic Ocean permitting, is achievable off the lower deck accessed by lift or stairs. There's also a sea water pool at lower deck level, which doesn't look all that inviting, but was actually very safe and good fun. The room which was one or two rungs up the Reids chain supposedly had a partial seaview, our view was full on . The bacony was a tight fit, but served its purpose. The room was immensley comfortable, adequately spacious, clean and the complimentary soft drinks from the mini-bar plentiful. The bed was truly mammoth and comfy. The quality of bedding, dressing gowns, towels and toiletries in the room, nothing short of luxurious. The breakfast buffet was the best I have ever had, and the Oberoi run Hotel we stayed at in the Himalayas two years ago, I thought would never be bettered, it was here! Poolside snacks are fine, steak sandwiches or other options delivered to you lounger or eaten in the open plan dining area. Not cheap, but probably value for the money paid. Had dinner in their Villa Cipriani restaurant on the verandah..see separate review, in summary excellent. The poolside or cliff side decking options mean you can relax in a range of situations and you are pampered by the pool staff. The same staff have been doing it for years, so they know how to look after you. We were going to try the reknowned afternoon tea on the terrace, but we were too busy relaxing. On our departure day we were allowed to keep our room until mid afternoon at no charge, and this allowed us to enjoy every last minute. I think it's operating at a really superior level. I'm reasonably well travelled and not that easily pleased, so if I say this equals the best I've stayed at, be assured it's very good indeed. If you want to combine this with a visit to the best value and quality of restaurants, visit 'Tokos' very nearby...eccentric, but it is the best, or a cheaper option, but also very good Casal De Panho, just down the hill towards town..
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set on cliff tops overlooking the Bay of Funchal and the Atlantic Ocean, this legendary hotel has, for over a century, been a standard-bearer for excellence. The hotel is located on 10 acres of subtropical gardens, boasts enviable access to the sea and is within walking distance of Funchal's shops, restaurants and night-life. With its reputation for excellence and discreet service, Belmond Reid's Palace is the ideal place at which to relax and be pampered. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Priceline, Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Belmond Reid's Palace reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Reid`s Palace By Orient-Express Hotel Funchal
- Reids Palace Funchal
- Reids Palace Hotel Funchal
- Belmond Reid's Palace Madeira/Funchal