We, a couple in the 30s and 40s, stayed in the Madeira Reid’s for 7 nights in a standard room. The room was located in the old part of the Reid’s and was at a first glance a little disappointing. The balcony was very small and the room lacking of space to stuff the clothes. After the first impression, we felt quite comfortable in our room, certainly, the sea view and the palm tree in front helped much (beware of a room facing the street side, if there are any).
We didn’t have any complains about the breakfast, one time the service was a little slow, but waiters generally were very friendly and the variety of the food good. Staff at the pool was very helpful, fast and friendly as well. The pools are great and good for swimming. Swimming in the sea is made easy as well with a cord you can follow to a moored buoy.
We were invited to a cocktail with the management and couldn’t go, because dress code was jacket and tie only, which I refuse to do on holiday.
And yes, there were many old guests, but it is rather mixed with families with kids…and we all get old as well one day.
So all in all, the hotel is full of history and our room was small, but service, location and pool area made it up. We would recommend the Reid’s for a trip to the past.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set on cliff tops overlooking the Bay of Funchal and the Atlantic Ocean, this legendary hotel has, for over a century, been a standard-bearer for excellence. The hotel is located on 10 acres of subtropical gardens, boasts enviable access to the sea and is within walking distance of Funchal's shops, restaurants and night-life. With its reputation for excellence and discreet service, Belmond Reid's Palace is the ideal place at which to relax and be pampered. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotwire, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Belmond Reid's Palace reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Reid`s Palace By Orient-Express Hotel Funchal
- Reids Palace Funchal
- Reids Palace Hotel Funchal
- Belmond Reid's Palace Madeira/Funchal