“Nice Indian Place in Funchal”

Taj Mahal Indian Restaurant
Reserve with
Taj Mahal Indian Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #72 of 675 Restaurants in Funchal
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Being not far away from the Pestana Carlton hotel, where we stayed, this Indian restaurant was quite nice for us to have dinners.
Typical indian food and atmosphere, nice wine list and good service.

I don't recommend you to order any expensive wine while eating indian food. Beacuse the food is quite spicy and you would not understand the taste of the expenive wine. It's better to drink a cheap wine or just have a glass of beer.

2  Thank Denis-from-Fulham

Reviewed January 13, 2013

I really don't understand why a handful of previous reviews slated this restaurant as it is really rather good. We wandered across to the restaurant from the Carlton Pestana Hotel and thoroughly enjoyed our meal.

The menu provides a decent selection of dishes. The waiters are friendly and efficient. We ordered a variety of curries, including vegetarian dishes, together with some naans. The food was flavoursome and well cooked; spicy without being overly hot. As someone who has enjoyed good Indian and Pakistani cuisine for many years, I would strongly recommend this establishment.

The main reason why this restaurant does not make the five star grade in my eyes is that the portions of each dish were just a bit too small,i.e., plenty of sauce and not much meat. If one turns up with a bit of an appetite, you might have to go through a few dishes to feel satisfied. The dishes are therefore a bit pricey for what you get on your plate but this restaurant is still well worth a visit.

2  Thank GibWanderer
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Great food, prompt service and nice to enjoy if you want to try an Indian restaurant. We went as friends wished to try it but our preference is to stick to the local restaurants.

1  Thank traceyall
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Very good indian food in a nice roomy restaurant. Had the lamb with spinach as a main course, my wife went for lamb with lentils. Very good for both of us, and I got it as "hot" as I had asked for. Nice and friendly service, and definitely very priceworthy!

1  Thank Henning I
Reviewed December 12, 2012

The Taj is proud of its good TripAdvisor rating - they have it posted against the door. This is well deserved. Service was excellent, as normal in Madeira. Not your average Indian restaurant - certainly more a fine dining experience and I would go out of my way to eat here if visiting Madeira again. Especially handy if staying at the nearby Pestana Carlton Hotel.

1  Thank vasco65