“Rather handy if you are staying in the Choupana Resort”
Review of Xopana Restaurant

Xopana Restaurant
Ranked #214 of 654 Restaurants in Funchal
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 20, 2014

You might find it a little bit too far away from Funchal if you are not acquainted with the island's winding roads and narrow streets. It's definitely worth and quite obvious if you are staying in the resort. The food and wine selection are great. The service is friendly, helpful and mostly speaks fluently English. I loved especially the seafood and risotto. The snack bar upstairs offers a wide selection of hamburgers, sandwiches and salads, if you prefer a rather casual setting.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

My husband and I ate here for lunch between Christmas and New Year. We made a booking a week or so before.

When we arrived we were given a very warm welcome and a glass of sparkly muscatel which was on the house. This wine was very nice but unfortunately I did not make a note of it to see if I could source it back here in the UK.

The dinning room is large but very comfortable with large windows overlooking the terrace and swimming pool and out over the bay of Funchal. The room was pleasantly purchased and the table was nicely set and had problem table linen and good quality silver and glass ware. The service was exemplary throughout.

I chose, chestnut soup to be followed by black Iberian pork. Shortly after taking our order the waitress came back to apologetically explain that there was no more chestnut soup and it would take 20 minutes for the kitchen to make it. She suggested the fish/scallop soup instead which I ordered. I was very pleased with this choice and it was utterly delicious.

My pork was very good, a piece of beautifully cooked loin served with slowly braised pork cheek. Braised pork cheek is something I make at home and it really is delicious and this was no exception.

I can't remember what my husband had to eat but he give it 5 stars as well. We both had a glass of red wine each, he had a glass of Sexy which was good but I chose a different wine which was delicious. Again I failed to note the name/winery to see if I could purchase over here.

The only slight disappointment was the pudding. We decided to share a pud and decided on the crème brulee. This had a layer of chestnuts underneath, nice enough but the texture of the crème was slightly off. It did not have that lovely some texture but was slightly grainy as though it had just bordered on splitting when they were making the custard. The taste was good though.

The bill for two of us came to just over 80 euros which we believe was good value. This included 2 courses each and one shared pud, a glass of red wine each and a cup of coffee each.

We will return when next in Madeira.

The menu was enticing and very reasonably priced.

1  Thank ReidAK
Reviewed October 20, 2013

This really is one of the most best restaurants I have ever eaten in. It was truly amazing!! The Lamb chops was delicious and the wine selection was amazing. Very good service and intimate ambience.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

I went to Xôpana to celebrate my 21st birthday with a small group of friends. Everything was done with so much care that everybody felt treated like royalty!

When booking in advance, I was offered the chance to have a fixed menu with all drinks included for LESS THAN 40€ per person! It’s unbelievable what it included! And I was even able to change the dishes according to my guests’ tastes.

We had the cocktail next to the pool with an amazing view. We were served a nice sparkling wine and a variety of little aperitifs to go with it. Everyone was impressed as the staff kept on bringing more and more of it! After enjoying this special treat for a while we went upstairs for dinner.

Our table was so beautifully decorated we could not stop taking pictures! We were served our drinks – water and a lovely Portuguese wine (white or red according to each guest’s preference) – and a fine couvert with a variety of fresh breads. We had a total of 4 courses – starter (octopus carpaccio or beef carpaccio), soup (sweet potato or asparagus), main course (lamb carré or entrecote) and desert (passion fruit soufflé or special brownie). All of them were delightfully cooked and presented, not to mention our glasses were filled up a dozen times and more bread kept coming throughout the meal! We finished with some coffee.

But, believe it or not, the best was yet to come!

After dinner we went to a really nice spot in the bar that had been previously reserved for us. What a wonderful place! I was so busy taking pictures that I did not even notice the staff bringing me an exquisite chocolate cake! They even kept hidden a bouquet of flowers that my boyfriend had ordered for me giving it to him just in the right time to surprise me. It was amazing! The cake tasted even better than it looked – no joke! – I am not a fan of birthday cakes, but this one was to die for. We had it after a 4 course dinner and still found it irresistible! I can assure you it was homemade and fresh! To finish this unforgettable evening we ordered our digestives and sat outside enjoying the view.

I simply have no words to thank all the staff for their magnificent work! I owe a special thank you to Mr. Ricardo Rodrigues for organizing all the details and Mrs. Ana Pires for being such a sweet waitress – everyone fell in love with her!

Thank you so much for making this the best birthday ever!

2  Thank MadeiraAdvisor
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Great place to eat, wonderful food, extensive wine choice. The locations is beautiful, with fantastic views on a clear night. Staff are amazing.

2  Thank JackW1981